Our customer wants to use persistent disks so that their Outlook profile is a local drive instead on the network share and thus searches and indexes are much faster.
We are using View Persona GPO to redirect certain folders (documents, desktop, etc).
This is working.
however when I go into the persistent disk and drill into the user's folder I see all these folders, but none of the content from the redirected folders. I assume this is by design and it creates the folders automatically but they remain empty?
What would happen if the user created files manually inside the persistent disk? just stay local?
Persona equivalent windows roaming profile is specifically for floating pools, so the profile will be migrated when user logs into different desktops. To have the persona configured for persistent disks, make sure "Remove local persona at log off" is not enabled. If it is enabled, the policy will delete the user data from persistent disks when users log off.
So we double checked and that setting it not enabled. We found that the quickaccess links were broken until we stopped redirecting the Searches folder.
Now though things have tangled up differently. Hopefully the following make sense:
1. anything listed in the folders to redirect go to \\fileserver\profiles\%username%\<redirectedFolderName such as \\fileserver\john.doe\Documents
2. anything that's part of the profile but not explictly redirected is put on the persistent disk. however it's then also being copied up to this folder: \\fileserver\%username%.V6\
3. this is fine, except it's thus copying up folders we do NOT want copied up such as U:\Users\%username%\Downloads and U:\Users\%username%\Outlook
--- \Downloads is happening on it's own. \Outlook is where we've told OST and offline address book to go to. We do not want this directory then syncing up to the fileserver.
4. We have added the following to the "Files and folders excluded from roaming" setting. It mentions needing to be relative to the root, so it doesn't look like we can use the ones that say 'U:\Users\%username%\... but not sure how else to exclude them:
5. peristent disk (U:) is turned on and persona repository location is set to \\fileserver\view-profiles\%username%\ (override AD is selected)
* how do I exclude certain folders like the Outlook folder on the persistent drive I told OST files to go to from sycning up to the fileserver but keep sycning other folders?