VMware Horizon Community
meyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Persistent Disk Linked Clones

I'm trying to understand how this works and if my configuration is incorrect.

I created a pool of linked-clones using persistent disk of 8GB and I have checked "Redirect Windows profile to a persistent disk"  However, I'm also using persona management to redirect profiles to a network share.  My question is should I have profiles redirected using persona to a network share and have "Do not redirect windows profiles" checked on the persistent disk or is my current setup correct?

Persistent.jpg

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The real gain in persona mode is that you can use it on a floating pool and do away with user data disk completely. VMWare recommends for people with large profiles to use a user data disk and persona together as I understand, but this doesn't get you anything really. It's much better to go with persona + folder redirection on floating pool. With a floating pool, you have the added benefit of keeping only a certain number of desktops on and still having instant log on times (shutting the rest down). The other use case for user data disks and persona is when you're migrating to persona mode, as it can act as an intermermediate step to putting those users on a floating pool with persona mode.

0 Kudos
meyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response. However, that didn't really answer my question.

0 Kudos
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It should work with either, but neither is optimal.

meyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Additionally, after I have configured it this way.  I'm getting extremely slow logon times(little over 3mins.) so I wasn't sure if having the persistent disk handling profiles and persona handling profiles if that is causing my logins to be slow.  Anyhow that is another issue.  Thanks again for the response.

0 Kudos
CameronUBC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try it with a floating pool and get it working that way first. I imagine it's a separate issue however.

0 Kudos