VMware Horizon Community
nosamkcaj
Contributor
Contributor

Persisten vs Non-Persistent

hello view-community, can you please review scenario below and advise on what customer options would be?  nosamkcaj

The customer is having issues with the amount of storage required to enable persistent mode. Right now he has 30 VDI licenses but plans to go to150 if we can help him solve his “persistent mode” problem. Here it is:

-          He says when left in persistent mode each individual user can save a custom desktop (wallpaper, icons, whatever). The problem is this image takes up too much storage and creates performance issues.

-          If he deactivates the persistent mode” to “non-persistent mode” it will reduce the amount of storage needed but the individual users will lose assigned peripherals such as what printers the have access to. They would have to reestablish connections each time they login to their system and that’s just not acceptable.

-          What he would like to know is if  there a way to keep persistent mode without letting the users customize the desktop but keep login profiles for assigned printers and other permissions.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Non-persistent is alwasy perfered, except in scenarios where you absolutely need persistent.

1) This is not a scenerio for persistant, you can get the same functionality just using persona managmeent.

2) Incorrect, a simple Group Policy can solve the printer issues.

3) Not really a question that makes sense, persisent mode would of course give you that, I assume you mean non-persistent, if so the answers above answer the question.  You need persona management, and group policy (or just an easy login script) to solve hte printer issue.

Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
psplnalin123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Welcome to the community!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell which View version you are using. I will let you know the benefit you will get View 5.0

In View 5.0 you will get the feature known as persona management which helps you non persisten users to redirect their profile to the centralized locaiton in which they can do the customization of the desktop which will be save at next logon also.

About the space if i pretend that Golden Image size is 30 GB with 2 gb ram then per linked clone size will be 3 to 3.5 GB practically plus the user profile disk size( it could be persona for non persistent/Floating users or Persistent disk for Persisten users)

- He says when left in persistent mode each individual user can save a custom desktop (wallpaper, icons, whatever). The problem is this image takes up too much storage and creates performance issues

Storage saving can be achieve using Dedicated and Floating

- If he deactivates the persistent mode” to “non-persistent mode” it will reduce the amount of storage needed but the individual users will lose assigned peripherals such as what printers the have access to. They would have to reestablish connections each time they login to their system and that’s just not acceptable.

Through person it could be manage easily also through group policy

- What he would like to know is if there a way to keep persistent mode without letting the users customize the desktop but keep login profiles for assigned printers and other permissions.

Persona

From above queries and reusability of the Desktops I will suggest to have a Floating Desktops with Persona managment will resolve all your problem

0 Kudos
nosamkcaj
Contributor
Contributor

Customer is running View 4.1, please let me know if that changes the answer.  And mnay thanks for your quick response to my inquiry.  nosamkcaj

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

ONly partially changes my answer, if they own 4.1 you'd have to buy a 3rd party solution for persona managment.  ANd I'd do that before I got into persistant desktops as the 3rd party would be cheaper.  of course itd be cheaper to just upgrade to 5 (I would think)

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
nosamkcaj
Contributor
Contributor

seems like the customer simply needs to upgrade to View 5.0 and the problem goes away.  thanks for the feedback to this inquiry!

nosamkcaj

0 Kudos