VMware Horizon Community
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Periodically disconnecting in VMWare Horrizon 4.7.0

Hello!

I'm using VMWare Horrizon 4.7.0 and I have this issue of being disconnected once in a while. I use Windows Server 2012 R2 within my VM. There is an error message in the attchament bellow.

Any kind of help will be appreciated.

VMWare Horizon DC error.png

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello again!

We finally found the actual cause of the problem. And it is really embarasing, how trivial it was.

New people are coming into our office and we're starting to run out of connections. That's why, sometimes,our unlucky user, who reported the problem, was having dcs for a short period of time. That would cause him a connection loss in VM and an immediate client close.

Thank you very much, everyone, who tried to help and gave all the tips and potential solutions! Much appreiciated! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

20 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You'll want to review the Horizon Agent logs which should contain a reason for the disconnect. Depending on the display protocol and assuming your guest is Windows these will reside in one of the following directories.

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\Logs\

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Blast\

AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is the log which got cleared right before the error.

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any help will be much appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

That's the Horizon Client log. Please grab the Horizon Agent log from the virtual desktop that you are connecting to for the time period when the issue occurred.

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hope this is the file. Thanks for the help so far! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In case more detail is needed, here is the full pack of logs.

https://we.tl/T29C1Xj4eN

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Those look like Horizon Agent logs. What date and time did the disconnect occur?

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It happens daily, so basically every log, which is at least 1 week old or more recent, should indicate that disconnection happened. Specifically, the last log .txt file that I posted, was indicating the most recent connection issue.

Thanks for the help so far!

0 Kudos
surajr04
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One thing I have noticed in the logs that VMware Tools and agent are installed in incorrect order.

VMware Horizon Agent [Installed: 2016-06-30,v7.0]

VMware Tools [Installed: 2017-03-13,v10.0]

As per KB: VMware Knowledge Base  VMware Tools need to be installed first and then the View Agent. In case if Tools is upgrade, it is recommended to uninstall and reinstall the View agent.

We have seen cases where unexpected issues are noticed if the order is not being followed.

It would be best if on the Master image follow below steps

Uninstall View agent > Reboot

Uninstall VMware Tools > Reboot

Reinstall VMware Tools > Reboot

Reinstall View agent > Reboot

Take new snapshot

Create or recompose TEST Pool and check the status. If it fix the issue then apply the same on Production Pool.

Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, agents was installed or managed in wrong order

Please take the above KB article as reference and fix it.

I have see these issue a lot, there is a tech reason why we are seeing unexpected behavior because View agent is totally depends/users VMware tools for display/mouse actions/keyboard interaction and also I think View agent will also depend upon VMware tools display adapter   

please post us your feedback here Smiley Happy

Thank you,

Vkmr.

AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you, I noted my colleague about this solution and as soon as he tries it, I will post the result Smiley Happy

Thank you very much for a  potential solution!

AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I asked my colleague in what order did the installation happen and he said on a fresh computer, he didn't have to do anything and just pressed next, next, next when the installation asked it, nothing more, nothing less. After that he had both tools and agent installed and could use the client.

I have no access to the host server, in case chagnes need or where made there. On the other hand, other people did the same thing and it worked for them.

Now I am even more confused :smileyshocked:

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, please correct it, if it is not following below order

when ever we are dealing with VMware tool and View agent order is most important.

order:

1st install VMware tools

2nd View agent

if you are not using UEM and app volumes please ignore below

3rd UEM flex agent

4th app volumes agent 

one more question, the user who is facing this issue is using BYOD? remote or on-site user?

Regards,

Vkmr.

VMvvol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Almantask,

The order of agents is very important and will play key role on VDI performance.

Volga.

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Thank you for the assitance, but sadly, the problem remains.

The biggest issue is, that the VMs are set not by my colleague, but by their partners, who host VMWare Horizon clients. The Agent was already installed in the VM that my colleague gotten form out partners and since the VM is the same for all other people and since he cannot delete/reinstall it himself, there is nothing to be done in terms of that.

The Host is remotely set in another country and my colleague is not using BYOD.

What my colleague tried (this is all he can do), is, he did a clean reinstall VMWare Horizon Client. This is the only thing he can do, since the VMWare tools were preinstalled in his VM, he cannot uninstall the agent either.

Like I said, the isn't any difference between the way he got the VM compared to the other people nor there are any differences in the way they set up their machines. The only difference is that it works for all, except for him.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Almantask,

Thanks for update, we almost narrowed down the issue, please give me some time like 2 days and I will keep you update on it.

Thank you,

Vkmr.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since you are on latest and greatest version of Horizon client, I can not point on it Smiley Happy

two things,

1st: please ask your user to apply all windows patches by restarting physical machine.

2nd: can I get time stamps of VMware tools and Horizon agent installation? [you can get it from control panel]

Thank you,

Vkmr.

AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

1. The machine was restarted yesterday, windows always fully updated

2. VMWare Horizon client (laptop) - 2018-04-11

The stamps for tools and agent are same for all the people and they were installed already in the VM, when my colleague got it. The same timestamps for 10 other people, but it doesn't work only for one:

VMWare Tools (in VM) - 2017-03-13,

VMWare Agent (in VM) - 2016-06-30.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AlmantasK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello again!

We finally found the actual cause of the problem. And it is really embarasing, how trivial it was.

New people are coming into our office and we're starting to run out of connections. That's why, sometimes,our unlucky user, who reported the problem, was having dcs for a short period of time. That would cause him a connection loss in VM and an immediate client close.

Thank you very much, everyone, who tried to help and gave all the tips and potential solutions! Much appreiciated! Smiley Happy