VMware Horizon Community
WelshPretender
Contributor
Contributor

Performance issues on one VDI session

We have an ongoing issue with one VDI session in our environment. The affected user sees the following:

Screen white-outs (i.e. not responding applications)

ThinApps and gold image apps crashing with the standard windows message "<appname>.exe has stopped

Moving between apps and then entering text into the apps causes the windows error noise repeatedly (and no text entering)

redraw issues when moving between programs - see attached image

This is affecting one user only.  We have another user which has the same job role so uses all the same systems; they do not have these issues. We also have ~25 other users using the same desktop pool and several of the same applications with no issues. We've tried moving the user's desk, recreating their Persona, have checked for connection issues to the VDI and physical machine.

There is also no pattern to when these issues occur.

Has anyone seen issues similar to this before or have any idea what further troubleshooting we can attempt? Obviously this all seems to point to something to do with the specific user but we have no idea what, since as mentioned before the other desk which has the same job role has no issues at all.

Thanks in advance

*EDIT*

We are using a Windows 7 SP1 image, the hosts are on 5.5, the view client is version 3.3.0 build-2507564 and view agent version is 6.1.1.2769635.  The desktop pool does not have 3D rendering enabled and the clients are running 3x27" HD screens.

The desktop pool is nonpersistent so the user gets a different vdi session whenever they log on.  The desktop pool has also gone through several recomposes.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vTimD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What kind of pool is this? Persistent / non-persistent, dedicated / floating? I am mainly wondering if this user gets the same VDI each time. If it is persistent and dedicated, have you tried swapping the user assignment from this users VDI to one of the others that is working? This would tell you if the issue lies with the user or with the VDI itself. If the issue sticks with the VDI, I would try a refresh of the VDI, or simply delete it and let composer rebuild it. With persona management your impact to the user should be very minimal if not completely unnoticeable (unless the user has installed their own apps post-deployment.)

-vTimD http://www.vtimd.com If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
WelshPretender
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I will add this into to the initial query but this is a non persistent pool, so the user gets a different client every time they log on.  This issue has been going on for a good while now so the destop pool has been recomposed several times for updates etc.  I understand that the issue is somehow related to this specific user's interaction with the VDI, but nobody here can work out what or why

thanks.

0 Kudos