VMware Horizon Community
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Parent VM Recovery - Instant Clone Question and Issue

I just upgraded to 7.13 from 7.11  in order to convert to Instant Clone pools and then complete the upgrade to 2006. I am simply installing the 7.13 agent on the parent image and then creating the IC pools, then deleting the LC pools, as per VMware's guide. . Everything was going well until the last pool. After creating the IC pool, I deleted the LC pool, and the parent image disappeared. I went back and looked at all the tasks and could see all the deletions of the vm's from the pool, and the folder they were in, but there is not a task reporting the deletion of the parent. Very strange. I also notice on the cluster that this pool is on there are no cp-parents. Is that because the parent image is gone?

Anyway, the folder for the parent image was still in the data store with three vmdk files. So I recovered by creating a new VM and adding the vmdk for the hard disk. So basically, I guess have my parent VM back, although I notice not all the customization are recovered.

Question - I noticed that the cp-replicas and cp-template all have full clone options, clone to VM and clone to template. Would this also be a way to create a parent image if you did a clone to vm? Or clone to template and the template to vm?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And I just noticed that provisioning is failing for this pool. I didn't think the provisioning depended on the parent image until you pushed it out again.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Do you have any appstacks that require the exact same parent image, or do you have applications on the parent image, if not I'd just redo it,

BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, no appstacks, but yeah, applications. I restored the vmdk to a new VM, but it did not pick up the snapshots, don't think there is a way to do that. So I just need to make the changes and updates from the two snapshots and I should be good to go. Then I am going to make a backup! Thank you.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Snapshots are kinda vmdks that point to other ones and there is a parent id, so unless you restore the original one the snapshots won't come back.

Tags (1)
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well I had  the primary vmdk and two from snapshots. I followed this KB to recover the VM by creating a new VM and adding the exisitng vmdk as hard drive. But that did not recover it with the snapshots. So I just updated it. Then I cloned it to get all the vmdk and files together in one folder. Now it is my new parent and its workig fine. Not sure if there is a better way in this situation.

0 Kudos