VMware Horizon Community
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Painfully slow logoin using View Client, fast with RDP

Hey All,

I have been fighting for days with a slow logon issue.  We just deployed View 4.6 with Vista VM's (no jokes please) at a remote site.

When I log on to the View using VM Client, logon takes 1-3 minutes, and it just hangs at the Vista Welcome Screen.  It does not hang at the "Applying User Settings" or profile screen.  The initial Welcome screen is where it hangs, and then eventually logs  me in.

When I use RDP to connect to the same VM, I am logged in within 30 seconds.

One thing we fixed yesterday was to update Active Directory Sites & Services to include the new VDI subnets, associated to the correct remote site.

I would be happy for any ideas anyone has.  I have looked at every Microsoft log I could find, I have not looked at the View Logs much.  Because the VM and the View Client seem to be working ok.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So all View components are local to a particular site and then your phyiscal desktop is accross the wan.     I remember reading somewhere in Windows 7 that having a solid color desktop background would cause delays at the welcome screen.  I'm not sure if that is applicable for Vista but it may be worth a try though it seems likely such a bug would be present in RDP too.    If you use RDP from the View client does it login at a decent speed?    If so we could rule out the View Client as being an issue and focus on something like PCOIP.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So when using the View client you are utilizing PCOIP and for RDP your just using the native remote desktop connection?    Since it's a remote site are you utilizing any type of wan acceleration productions?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes - when we are testing RDP, we are just using the native Windows RDP Client.  There are no WAN accelerators..

I need to research the best log to look at to try and figure out the hang-up.  When checking the VM in vCenter, both the CPU and Network usage seem normal (not pegged).

Thanks,
Andrew

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What does your View setup look like?  Do you have connection brokers at the remote site, are you using tunneling or direct connect, are  the VDI machines stored in a central location or do they live at the remote site?

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Both the VDI Brokers (View Connection Servers) and the VM's live at the remote site.

However, I have been having the router team check their configs, because the Connection Servers have been showing higher-than-average latency (90ms) response to pings.  Whereas my VM's are showing 2ms on site, and 44ms over the WAN.

Good call re: tunnel mode, I need to make sure that is turned off.  Because if I have a routing issue, that is only going to hurt matters.

I found this KB article too:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100930...

Thanks,
Drew

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

By the way, the 90ms ping response is within the remote site.  When I try to ping it from my site I am getting ~40ms.

My thinking all along was that we were using direct connection (not tunneled), in which case the latency would be annoying but shouldn't persist past the initial connection between the View Connection Server and the VM.

I obviously need to check that setting.

*Edit*  I should add that the time lapse between connecting with the View CLient and when I get the VIsta logon screen is almost instant -- the delay only happens after I start logging on to Windows (hangs at the Welcome dialogue for 1-2 minutes).

Andrew

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

So all View components are local to a particular site and then your phyiscal desktop is accross the wan.     I remember reading somewhere in Windows 7 that having a solid color desktop background would cause delays at the welcome screen.  I'm not sure if that is applicable for Vista but it may be worth a try though it seems likely such a bug would be present in RDP too.    If you use RDP from the View client does it login at a decent speed?    If so we could rule out the View Client as being an issue and focus on something like PCOIP.  

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Ok -- so we pretty much figured this out today, we boiled it down to two specific problems:

GPO's:  We set Registry Policy Processing, File Extension Processing, Folder Extension Processing, etc., all to "Process the GPO only if it has changed."  That seemed to help a bit.  The Group Policy Operational Log in Event Viewer helped us figure out  which GPO's were causing the delay.  The important thing to note was that the log shows the processing time in ms, not seconds.  So to convert it we had to multiply the value by .001 to determine how many seconds had elapsed.  Some were 35-40 seconds! 

Roaming Profiles:  When we deleted my Roaming Profile from the network, I was able to login within 15 seconds.

I still have logon problems, 1-1.5 minutes.  I think though that it is one of these two issues each time.

Thanks for the tips.

Andrew

0 Kudos