VMware Horizon Community
tomtom1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

POD Design questions ?

Hello, I am looking for high level design for my view environment. My initial thoughts

1) 2 Datacenter

2) 4 PODS, 2 in each datacenter

3) F5 Load Balancer

4) total 500 users

I know there are multiple components that are involved in this design. My concern is more from about number of vCenters and VMware view broker that can be in a POD.

My thought, have POD A and POB B in one datacenter and POD C and POD D in other datacenter. They don't share any infrastructure components.

POD A and POD C will be active POD B and POD D will be on standby. When ever users connect to the VDI environment, they will connect to one of the Active PODS wiht help of F5.

Can there be multiple broker and one vCenter Server in each POD. Does this makes sense? or we can have multiple vCenter servers in each VIEW POD?

Why do we need to have multiple vCenter servers ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

4 PODs are a lot for just 500 users. Each POD can support up to 10,000 users/sessions.

A View POD cannot span more than one LAN connected data center so if you really need 2 data centers you need 2 PODs.

Each POD can contain up to 7 Connection Servers. Each Connection Server can handle up to 2,000 users/sessions. This means that in a POD of 7 Connection Servers, even if up to 2 fail, you still have the 10,000 capacity. All servers should be active whenever possible.

You should have more than one of every server component for HA, so each POD in your environment can have 2 Connection Servers (one installed as a standard instance, the other as a replica instance of the first). This will give you the capacity for up to 2,000 users/sessions in each POD even if one Connection Server fails. You use a load balancer to direct the users to an available Connection Server and to spread the load across the available servers.

All PODs can be active at all times. The load balancer will manage the situation if any Connection Server fails.

You have multiple vCenter servers in a View environment for HA.

Also look at the View Architecture Planning guide for specific details.

Mark

0 Kudos