VMware Horizon Community
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

PCoverIP Terminal

Just wondering if anyone has been looking for terminals that support PC over IP. I spoke to my Wyse rep and what I found out is that VMware hasn't released the APIs yet for PCoIP so they have their hands tied. The other problem they foresee is that the Wyse V10L (the terminal I was hoping to use) only has an 800Mhz processor and PCoverIP protocol requires a 1Ghz processor.

Just wanting to start a decision on terminals and PC over IP, feel free to join.

-Gunnar

Gunnar Berger http://www.gunnarberger.com http://www.endusercomputing.com
0 Kudos
164 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is not entirely accurate. It looks like you got some misinformation. I am sorry about that. Hopefully this will help clarify things.

- We have an API that several partners ( Sun, Panologic, HP, WYSE, Teradici etc. ) have used to integrate devices for which we do not have a native " VMware View Client " that API depends on an underlying client component to handle the specific connectivity ( RDP, PCoIP etc.) so its not that useful without a client component.

- Currently the PCoIP client component exists in several forms. One being hardware based PCoIP clients the other, VMware View software clients for which there is a Win32 and Linux client.

- WTOS is a custom built OS so the client components, including any current or feature dependent components need to be ported to that custom OS. This is the part we working toward with the WYSE product team.

- A 1Ghz processor is not required. The hardware requirements or recomendations are driven by the current and future feature functionality you might want, they also are not entirely CPU driven. For example, multimonitor, MMR, USB redirection etc.. We do see different levels of performance and user experiance based on both the client processing power as well as the chip implementation ATOM vs. Sempron vs. VIA vs. ARM etc. This is not anything new really with thin clients though.

Also, if you look at the thin clients released over the last 12 months. Very few thin clients today ship with less than a 1Ghz / 512MB spec.

This is off the top of my head so it could be slightly off. Sorry if it is.... I think its helpful to know though Smiley Happy

- Currently WYSE has 33 thin client models

- 28 are deskside models

- 5 are mobile / laptop clients

- Of the 33 models WTOS is only supported on 3 of them

- 18 of their models should be capable of running the VMware View client with PCoIP

WP

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor

So does XPe support PC over IP? It sounds to me like it does, in which case I have to go yell at Wyse.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry.... hit send to soon Smiley Happy

Yes, absolutely .... Anything that uses the " VMware View Client "

- Currently the win32 VMware View Client with PCoIP supports Windows fat client OSes as well as XPe and WES

- The Linux client is in the hands of all the thin client partners and we are wrapping up some final things as they complete integration. Some, that have custom OSs that are more Linux variants have taken the Linux client integrated as needed. One example is DeTOS from Devon IT.

- There are also a whole suite of PCoIP hardware zero clients ( P20 from WYSE, Clear Cube, Devon IT, Dell, Samsung, Amulet, EVGA, Leadtec, Samsung, ELSA, etc. ) a firmware update will be available soon for devices from all these partners that enable hardware clients to work with View using PCoIP.

WP

0 Kudos
gunnarwb
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

Too bad, I don't want XPe... maybe I'll look into the Linux client and get a linux terminal.

Gunnar

0 Kudos
mplanck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've got a trial of View 4 running and can connect with PCoIP from my thick client.

What I'm wondering about is the Samsung 930ND we're testing with. It supports PCoIP but doesn't connect to our connection server - will it need a firmware upgrade to work with view 4?

0 Kudos
dturner71
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, as I understand it there is a firmware upgrade to enable View 4 connectivity. I think you have to contact Teradici directly to get it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you will need a firmware update. It will be coming soon from Teradici.

WP

0 Kudos
Ziegenfus
Contributor
Contributor

Any word on when the Teradici update will be released? We are trying to test the Samsung 930ND PCoIP with View 4. We are able to connect via RDP but not PCoIP. The Firmware version currently loaded is below.

Firmware Version: 1.10

Firmware Build: v184

Firmware Build Date: Dec 23, 2008

PCoIP Processor Revision: 1.0

Bootloader Version: 2.1

Bootloader Build: v112

Bootloader Build Date: Mar 10, 2008

0 Kudos
mplanck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The guy I talked to at Teradici indicated that they would be releasing the new version on December 8th and that it would be avaliable from Samsung at that time. We'll see...

0 Kudos
Ziegenfus
Contributor
Contributor

Great, thanks for the info. Did you find a way to make your Samsung 930ND work with PCoIP without the firmware update or do you think that the update will be required in order for it to connect?

Also, did the Teradici guy make any promises that it would work with View 4? I had just assumed considering their recent partnership...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You need the upcoming firmware update

and

The updated firmware will enabled clients to work with View 4. ( I am typing this from a PCoIP portal and View 4 desktop )

WP

0 Kudos
dturner71
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Warren, I attended a Teradici webinar this afternoon and they said that PCoIP hardware clients like the 930ND would be able to auto-login to View 4. Can you confirm?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Dan, In this firmware there will be a auto-connect function but not a auto-login function. So, a portal will auto-connect to View and present a login but the user will still need to enter UN/PW etc. for this release.

WP

0 Kudos
dturner71
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Warren. My deployment won't be happening for 5 months, but unfortunately I have to select an endpoint device this month for our bid process. Can you tell me if auto-login is a planned addition and if so when that might happen?

0 Kudos
michaelf
Contributor
Contributor

What about availability of PCoIP hardware for the server? Can I add a Teradici card now to my ESX host to improve PCoIP performance? I didn't see anything listed on the HCLs...

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Call Wyse, they have two boxes coming out in the next two months (December/January) that will support PCoIP.

0 Kudos
billu
Contributor
Contributor

I just spoke with Wyse today - their sales reps are having a training meeting tomorrow and will know the details, but apparently the P20 device is releasing very soon - it has the chip built-in and natively supports PCoIP

0 Kudos
gunnarb
Expert
Expert

Thats exactly what I heard, however I do believe that's an XPe or Linux device not WTOS. The WTOS with built in PCoIP has a later release date and won't be the P series and may be a release all it's own (like the Viance), at least that's what I heard from my Wyse contact.

0 Kudos
dturner71
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys, I can't begin to say how helpful this community is! Re: the P20, it's stateless PCoIP hardware and so no OS, just firmware. Whenever a WTOS unit comes out it will definitely be new/different model.

0 Kudos