PCoIP not working

Hi,

I have successfully installed and configured below:

1. VIEW Connection Server (CS)

2. VIEW Security Server (SS)

3. VIEW Transfer Server (TS)

4. VIEW Agents

5. VIEW Client

ALL work fine. I can connect to any desktop in desktop pool using VIEW Client.

Now, the problem is PCoIP. I have set it up in CS and SS. But, when I open the external URL (the one configured in SS using http://<ip-addr>:4172 )nothing happens. No connection is established. Firewalls are disabled at all servers and desktops. This is my internal setup.

Any pointers please?

Thanks and regards,

Pravin Goyal

1.jpg

2.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The latest version of VMware View does not support web access as the previous ... Can only be accessed from the View Client ... If a browser put the IP of the SS would have to enter the portal of the View, just to be able to download the client ..

Do not understand why you want to use SS if you work on an internal network .. : S

Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi!, in you SS configuration you write the external URL with the real name (ex: https://ss.vmware.com:443)

Nicolas Alfonso Sr Virtualization Architect ***Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.***
0 Kudos
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

More data:

CS:

External URL --> https://cs.domain.local:443

PCoIP External URL --> local_ip_of_CS:4172

SS:

External URL --> http://view.vmware.com:443 (for example)

PCoIP External URL --> public_ip:4172

public_ip= ip to resolve with External URL (public)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sorry , but I could not follow. The FQDNs are working fine. I dont have any external IP with me. Its all an internal setup where all IP are in 10.x.x.x range.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe, by PCoIP, we can open an internet explorer instance and type in the IP address. We dont need VIEW Client to be installed on the machine for the same. Is this right?

0 Kudos
nalfonso14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The latest version of VMware View does not support web access as the previous ... Can only be accessed from the View Client ... If a browser put the IP of the SS would have to enter the portal of the View, just to be able to download the client ..

Do not understand why you want to use SS if you work on an internal network .. : S

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well,

I dont need SS at all for any production env as such. I am testing a few possibilities in my local dev env.

So,

From browser, we cannot have PCoIP session opened and we need to initiate a connection through VIEW Client ONLY. Got your point.

Thanks a ton Nicole.

0 Kudos
Stu_Robinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Pravin,

My name is Stuart Robinson, I am the director of Systems Engineering at Teradici (creators of PCoIP protocol).  As nalfonso14 points out the View Client (or a PCoIP Zero Client) is required to connect to VMware View hosts via PCoIP protocol.  I'd like to have someone from my team work with you to resolve your issue.

We use View security server constantly for customer/partner remote access world-wide as well as remote employee and demonstrations. We can also handle a small number of requests for external demo's (if you want to compliment your internal testing with a live VM testing from Vancouver Canada).  My team can help set that up.  If you would like to work with my team to resolve your issue, then please send your contact information to support@teradici.com.

Best Regards,

Stu

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks Stuart. I have resolved the problem. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Stu_Robinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent!

Good luck with your testing.  If you have any questions regarding PCoIP protocol, or how to optimize for remote access (network configuration, bandwidth, imaging etc) go to techsupport.teradici.com (free registration).  There are a number of documents (especially the network checklist) and training videos.

Cheers,
Stu

0 Kudos
griffinboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Stu,

I might need to pick your support guys' brain a little too :smileygrin:

I'm also having some difficulties making PCoIP work through my Security Server/Load Balancers/Firewall.

I have a lab setup with:

FW

Zeus ZXTM LB appliance

View SS (4.6)

View CS(4.6)

View Transfer(4.6)

vCenter (4.1U1) + composer (2.6)

Agent 4.6 on master image

Client 4.6 (with local mode) on remote client machine.

I have tested the setup for local users (with and without local mode) prior to deploying the SS & LB and everything works a treat. PCoIP offers great desktop display experience for LAN users. My goal is to have a mixed platform for local (LAN) and remote workers (on VPN/WAN) hence the deployment of the SS. I will also ultimately have a pair of everything (as oppose to 1 of each for now) to ensure resilience.

Anyway, at the moment I have a public address NAT'ed to a LB front end VIP which is then NAT'ed to a backend VIP that my CS & SS can talk to in their private space. All that is set for HTTPS(443). Routing looks fine.

RDP seems to work perfectly as I can connect to a linked clone desktop remotely (WAN access), check it out and back in etc..

PCoIP however has been a bit hit and miss so far. I created a separate virtual server and server pool on my LB for 4172 (UDP and TCP) and I can authenticate and  connect the View client to the CS server, When I click the 'connect' button to connect to my actual desktop, the desktop frame opens but the content is all black (i.e. I get a frame but no desktop inside Smiley Happy) and then get the error message:

"the connection to the remote computer timed out".

I ran a tcpdump on each of the LB's in & out interfaces and all I can see is HTTPS traffic. Am I supposed to see any traffic on port 4172 when attempting to connect to the desktop?

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this issue or not. I will contact Terradici and have a look at the documentation available on the techsupport desk.

VCPID: 40118 (VCP310, VCP4)
0 Kudos
griffinboy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Managed to fix our 'black-screen-then-disconnect-when-using-remote-pcoip' issue by dedicating an external VIP for PCoIP UDP on the load balancer. After setting that as the secure gateway in the SS settings, external PCoIP started to work fine.

VCPID: 40118 (VCP310, VCP4)
0 Kudos
Stu_Robinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great to hear.  I had assigned this to one of the guys on my team, but glad to hear that you solved it already!

Feel free to open a ticket on the Teradici support site if you have questions about PCoIP technology or a deployment question/trouble that involes the PCoIP protocol. There is a network checklist that we recommend to be used for all deployments that can be downloaded from techsupport.teradici.com (free self-registration).

Thanks,
Stu

0 Kudos
robert_eckdale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'd just like to say "Kudos" to Teradici for apparently actively monitoring VMware's View Community for PCoIP issues.

While this should be par for the course in our industry, in my expereince it rarely is.

0 Kudos