VMware Horizon Community
jfischer-GaTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

PCoIP host cards and View 4

I'm hoping that someone can clarify this for me. We have a current View 4 environment which we would like to set up to broker PCoIP thin client connections to higher-end thick clients that use a PCoIP host card (ie not VM's). I understand that View is capable of handling this (as long as the latest PCoIP firmware is applied to the host card and the client). I am assuming that the way to get View to broker these connections is to install the View Agent on the thick client that contains the host card and then add it as an 'Individual Desktop' in the View Admin console and entitle the proper users to the desktop. My questions are 1) is this assumption correct? and 2) how does the agent know to use the host card when connecting over PCoIP rather than the built in software PCoIP driver in the agent? and 3) how do I know for sure that it's using the host card?

Thanks,

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jeff,

Your assumption is correct. It knows becasue the agent will not install our SVGA driver on a physical machine.

WP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Jeff,

Your assumption is correct. It knows becasue the agent will not install our SVGA driver on a physical machine.

WP

0 Kudos
jfischer-GaTech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK, that makes sense and it's something I will check for.

Thank you Warren.

0 Kudos
YoMarK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't get it to work, but maybe i'm missing something. Also, I can't find any documentation on this topic.

We have Wyse P20 hardware PCoIP zero clients, a PC with a EVGA PCoIP host card, and a working Vmware View 4.01 environment.

The EVGA host card also has the latest firmware(tera1x00_rel3-0_v250.all)

With the Wyse P20 i can successfully connect to the Vm's in View using PcoIP. Also: a "direct" connection(not using Vmware View as a connection broker) from the P20 to the PC with the PCoIP host card works great.

I've installed the View 4.01 agent on the PC(with PCoIP host card), and added it as a individual desktop to View. However, I can't connect to it using PcoIP(RDP works Smiley Happy ), not with the software PCoIP client(don't think this is supposed to work), and not with the P20(this should work). The error i get: "This desktop does not support the requested display protocol"

It seems to me that the probem is that it triest to connect to the wrong IP address, as the PCoIP host card has an IP of its own.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello YoMarK,

Your PC with the PCoIP host card also requires the PCoIP Host Driver

Software which is currently only available as a Beta package.... GA

release within the next week or two I believe.

Ian

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Jeff,

Your "thick clients" with the PCoIP host cards also requires the PCoIP Host Driver Software which is currently only available as a Beta package.... GA release within the next week or two....

The VIEW4 software agent only operates with virtualzed graphics so cannot perfrom the function of PCoIP protocol agent on your "thick clients" (which are technically "hosts" rather than "clients" in your environment if I understand correctly). Your "thick client" will ALWAYS use the host card.

Ian

0 Kudos
YoMarK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

With the PCoIP Host Driver Software(version 3.1) it now works as expected: The Wyse P20 can connect to the PC with the PCoIP host card using Vmware View as a connection broker.

Tnx PCoIPinsider!

0 Kudos
ProfBunsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

does your individual Desktop in VMware View pointing to the IP of the PC or to the IP of the host card?

Thanks Peter

0 Kudos