VMware Horizon Community
SpaceBeans
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP desktops experience very choppy audio

Hello all,

I have brought up a single ESXi 5.0 host to test VMWare View 5.0.  All thin clients are HP zero clients.  I have two group of users, one at my home office in the US and one overseas.  Both groups access a simple homegrown system for billing, which works fine.  However when the overseas team uses any sort of audio playback at all (from a webpage, from their softphones, or even from the Windows 7 sound profile Tests) the audio is painfully choppy, being reducing to essentially some loud beeps.  Audio in our home office is very good.  The Manager webpage sees both groups connecting with PCoIP, so I know that is working.  Video is very smooth and improves to nice quality fairly quickly since I have used the GPO to set the minimum quality and maximim quality much lower than normal.  I have audio included in the GPO applied to the virtual desktops.

The only major difference is the network.  My home office latency spikes to 2ms at peak times, but my overseas office experiences a constant 250-260ms latency across our MPLS.  I did see a post on MyVirtualCloud saying that latency for PCoIP should be below 250ms, but there was no actual hard source I could reference.  Does anyone with some real PCoIP experience think that overseas latency is causing my audio issues?  Are there any other steps you would suggest to fix the PCoIP aspect?

I expect to keep View in my US office (it's so much better than full PCs), but I would be disappointed if I couldn't have it in all of my overseas offices as well.  Any advice appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
eeg3
Commander
Commander

The 250ms round-trip latency is referenced in the View PCoIP Network Optimization Guide, and the high latency could be causing some issues. There's a lot of good info in that document, particularly on page 15-16, in reference to Audio. Have you tried it without your custom GPO settings?

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos