VMware Horizon Community
smiley14
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP Remote Access Stopped working After Upgrading to Version 5.0.1

Hi,

Been trying to solve this issue but no luck and I am hoping that some can shed some light on this.

Remote access has been working great for us with version 4.6 using PCoIP on laptops and iPad.  However, I recently upgraded our View environment from 4.6 to 5.0.1 in preparation for the vSphere version 5 upgrade.  After a successful upgrade of View to 5.0.1, now I cant connect remotely using PCoIP (RDP works just fine).  I get the blackscreen then timeout message.  No changes was made on the firewall during the upgrade.  Is this a bug on 5.0.1?

Please help.  Thanks in advance.

Norman

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

During the upgrade sometime the external URL will be reset to whatever local hostname you are using.

Change it back to the proper external url and it should start to work again.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
smiley14
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

The external URL on both the security gateway and the connection server (replica) was still the same as it was after the upgrade.  I made screen shots of the configuration before the upgrade and matched that after the upgrade.  The security gateway have our public domain and the connection server have the hostname.

Norman

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Then I would open a SR with VMware support and try to let them figure it out since its an urgent issue.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would go through steps 1 and 2 again - http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974

If it was working before, it is unlikely to be firewall setup. Check the "PCoIP External URL" and check that the Connection Server is configured to gateway PCoIP.

Mark

0 Kudos
smiley14
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

First of, thanks doing that doc.  It is very informative and the video is a nice touch.  🙂  I did go through it and the first step checks out just fine.  On the second step:  For the security server, I have the URL of our public domain.  On the connection server, I have the hostname for the external URL.  Am I supposed to have the URL of my security server on the connection server?

Thanks again!

Norman

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If the PCoIP black screen problem is happening when the user connects via the Security Server then it is just the Security Server External URLs that are used (not the Connection Server ones).

If that's the case, the important one to check is the Security Server setting of "PCoIP External URL" (which contains an IP address). Make sure that is set to an IP address that the client can use to get to that Security Server for the PCoIP connection.

Also check that your Connection Server has the option ticked to gateway PCoIP otherwise your clients will attempt direct PCoIP connections to the virtual desktops.

Mark.

0 Kudos
smiley14
Contributor
Contributor

I finally got it working!  It was the security server after all.  It wasn't even vmware but rather the networking of the windows server hosting the security server.  For whatever reason, it was inquiring the DNS servers before initiating the UDP 4172 connection back to the client.  Not sure why it was doing this since the connection has been established already on the first place but I flushed the DNS and voila! (?)  🙂

0 Kudos