VMware Horizon Community
lorenze89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PCoIP GPO Optimization

Hello,

We  have a horizon 7.0 environment that is  being use by employees that are located 8000+ miles away.  The office that these users are connecting from has 20Mbps bandwidth  and  has around 80 users.  Most of these users are using multi-monitor and is heavily using web browsers (heavily) and office product. I have use the OS optimization tool on the base image but users are still getting slow responsiveness at times on their VDI and was looking if maybe there is still another option that we can set using GPO to give them a better performance  with the bandwidth that the office has.

Is there any recommended value for each GPO settings that can help on these type of scenario?Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

8 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Edit: You said PCoIP and I read Blast. I would still advise upgrading and considering switching to UAG with Blast but try the following. Download the PCoIP Session Statistics Viewer from Teradici (https://help.teradici.com/s/article/1032​) . It will help you identify FPS, packet loss, latency, bandwidth utilization and several other metrics from the Horizon Agents perspective. You can then use the Horizon Agent GPO to disable build to lossless, reduce the image quality, set a limit on FPS and minimum/maximum bandwidth utilization. You will need to adjust these and gather user feedback to determine the balance between an acceptable user experience and bandwidth utilization.

What's the latency like between the two sites and is any packet loss present? You would benefit from upgrading Unified Access Gateways (if used), Horizon, Horizon Agents and the Horizon Clients. VMware introduced improvements in Blast where it can switch between TCP/UDP and adjust the image quality dynamically based on the connection quality.

Innovation in User Experience: A Closer Look at New Blast Extreme Protocol | VMware End-User Computi...

Deep Dive into VMware Blast Extreme Adaptive Transport

Deep Dive into VMware Blast Extreme Network Intelligent Transport | VMware End-User Computing Blog

amr12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is BLAST (8443) an option for you all?

0 Kudos
lorenze89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the response BenFB​. I will check on the article that you given. We are currently on horizon version  7.0.0 and have 2 security server and 2 connection server.  Does HTML access needs to be enable on each pool for the Blast Protocol connection to work using a vmware view client? or this is only available on a higher version of horizon? Again, Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
lorenze89
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello  amr12​,

Thank you for your response. I'm also looking  at Blast connection but is still trying to make it work. Does it needs html access enable on each pool for it to work?  We just upgraded from view 6.2 to horizon 7.0.0.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
amr12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, this needs to be enabled on the pool(s) as well as the agent installation itself.  If i'm not mistaken is also needs to be done on the connection server install too but don't quote me on that. 

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Please see my revised response above. You said PCoIP and I read Blast.

0 Kudos
wallaceb
Contributor
Contributor

Frankly I am surprised you can have that many users work from such a distance over 20 Mbps. That is actually really impressive to me that it is usable. I would suggest turning off multi-monitor support. I have my PCoIP session bandwidth floor set to 1024 in GPO which has helped with frame loss but in your limited bandwidth situation that may do more harm than good.

I also recommend Blast if it works for you (doesn't always play nice with GRID cards though so I don't use it when those are involved). I use View 7.5 and don't need HTML on for Blast to work, you can't turn it on in previously made desktop pools so you will have create a new pool.

I don't know how much web browsing is going on but you may want to suggest it all happens though the VDI since then that is just using the bandwidth at your main office to go on the web instead of browsing on the local machine (if that is what they are doing) in addition to using Horizon View at the same time. Then it wouldn't matter how much the Internet is being used as long as your main office has bandwidth. I am having to make some assumptions but it seems like that would help.

0 Kudos
wallaceb
Contributor
Contributor

Missed this GPO setting, but you would need to change these for your connection:

Configure PCoIP image quality levels Enabled 

See the Explain tab for example values.

Set the Minimum Image Quality value (default value: 40): 30

Set the Maximum Initial Image Quality value

(default value: 80): 90

Set the Maximum Frame Rate value (default value: 30): 32

Use image settings from zero client if available Disabled

(default value: disabled; not applicable for soft client)

0 Kudos