VMware Horizon Community
SnarlyWino
Contributor
Contributor

PCoIP Feedback

I was so excited to find this client that I nearly jumped out of my seat, but allas I shall curb my enthusiasm until the full version is released. Multiple monitors, USB redirect and ThinPrint are key features keeping me from deploying View on my Mac clients, which in turn is delaying a large scale VDI deployment withim my organization. The fact that this preview exists is still progress and I will continue to eagerly await a full product.

Observations:

-I think the client is astheticly well designed and true to form as a Mac app. On one hand, I can appreciate the others requests for uniformity between the platforms, but on the other hand, most of us mac users chose this platform because of its oposition to uniformity. I think you guys are on the right track.

-The default toolbar options are adiquate, but I did make attempts to customize the toolbar and drag the reset button and other options down with no success. Other customizations such as text only work well and are a nice touch.

-The desktop window resizes nicely and quicly, I was happy to see this. Full screen suppport is nice and will be beatuiful once Multiple monitor support is provided.

All in all, I am excited to see where this client is going, but until full PCoIP features are supported, it is just a better looking RDP client, which is not user friendly in my environment.

Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the feedback on the client. The approach we are taking to the Mac client is get the core features to market to solve the initial needs and over time looking at adding additional features such as multiple monitors, USB, and ThinPrint. Those items are being considered for releases later in the year.

Pat

0 Kudos
SnarlyWino
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update Pat, but I must push back by saying that all the features you mentioned are considered "core functionality" by those of us that use View on a regular basis. I have a mixed environment of Macs and PCs, and the lack of this functionality in the Mac client has been a major hindrance to adopting this technology corporate wide. The fact that these are being "Considered" suggests a lack of commitment to your Mac based clients.

Pro Deo, Pro Familia, Pro Patria
0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We are quite committed to the Mac client and I am excited about there it is going, especially being a Mac user.

Working a big company, you have to say things in a certain way about future product releases and the features that will be in them. 

As you can see from our mobile clients, we are release clients regularly with bug fixes and new features. So, stay tuned...

Pat

0 Kudos