VMware Horizon Community
emorehouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

PCOIP Connection and VCenter Console

Is it possible to have a VCenter console connection to a View desktop that has a PCOIP connection to it already. When I try this I get nothing but a black screen on the console connection and I'm not sure if this is by design or not. I can have a RDP connection to on of the desktop and a VCenter Console Connection, the problem only exists when the connection is PCOIP throught the View client.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Actually its possible to do but you need to set a registry-setting on the guest:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware SVGA DevTap\NoBlankOnAttach : DWORD: 1

This is not recommended to do for a few reasons:

Every person that have access to the console can see what the user is doing. (Privacy)

Performance will be worse since the display need to be drawn on two places instead of one. (Performance)

Why not simply use the Remote Assistance functionality in Windows instead?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
langonej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure the answer is, "no" as the "console" output is now running through the PCoIP channel, so in theory, there is nothing to see.

emorehouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was afraid of that. What I was trying to do was use the console for remote assistance situations for my end users. Is there any built in way to do this with View? I don't really want to buy more altiris licenses for my Virtual Desktops.

0 Kudos
ericgc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think this is possible through a registry edit - HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware SVGA DevTap\NoBlankOnAttach : DWORD: 1

I can't remember where I found the info but it is in my notes.

emorehouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the info. On what machine do I make this reg edit? VM, VCenter...?

0 Kudos
ericgc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM in question I believe.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Actually its possible to do but you need to set a registry-setting on the guest:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware SVGA DevTap\NoBlankOnAttach : DWORD: 1

This is not recommended to do for a few reasons:

Every person that have access to the console can see what the user is doing. (Privacy)

Performance will be worse since the display need to be drawn on two places instead of one. (Performance)

Why not simply use the Remote Assistance functionality in Windows instead?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
langonej
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You beat me to it! I was just reading through my Teradici docs.

I will say in most Federal or high-security implementations, disabling console view is normally part of the standard build process.

0 Kudos
emorehouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will the performance be worse all of the time or just when I have a console connection and a PCOIP connection at the same time?

0 Kudos
emorehouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I do not seem to have anything past this point in my registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.

Do I need to add the rest or should it be present?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to create it to override the default behavior.

WP

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should create it as a DWORD value as well.

WP

0 Kudos
emorehouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for all the info. I just tested it and it works now.

0 Kudos