VMware Horizon Community
Ready4Change
Contributor
Contributor

PCOIP Black Screen

We are facing an issue when attempting to connect from the View 4 Client to a desktop via PCOIP. When the attempt to connect is made, a black screen appears for about 10 seconds then quits/exits. The desktop status shows "ready" in the broker. Sometimes we get the message "the display protocol for this desktop is currently busy processing a request. Please contact your system administrator." We cannot via RDP without any issues.

This desktop is an individual desktop (no pool or link clone) I have tried:

-Increasing the resolution on the broker to the max 1920x1200 for this desktop

-Uninstalling the vmware tools and agent. Reboot, reinstall vmware tools, reboot, reinstall latest version of agent, reboot twice

I cannot set the video ram because the hardware version is 4 and not seven since we run in ESX 3.5 Update 3. the View broker is version 4.

Anyt thoughts?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Check connectivity between the client and the vDesktop on TCP/UDP 50002.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Ready4Change
Contributor
Contributor

Linjo,

Can you elaborate? there is not firewall running...only virus scan. How should I check this?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Well, there are a number of things that could be wrong, it seems that you have taken care of the most likely one:

http://www.thatsmyview.net/2009/12/18/how-to-get-pcoip-with-view-4-to-work-every-time/

The next thing to check is network connectivty, there are a few differnt ways of doing that; for example with telnet to the vDesktop on port 50002 and check if you can connect.

After that I would have a look in the logfile to check that there are no errors and that the correct IP:s are bound by the PCoIP process.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Ready4Change
Contributor
Contributor

When I telnet from the workstation running vmware client to the vdesktop on 50002 (telnet ip 50002) I receive "could not open connection to the host"...does this mean it is a firewall issue?

0 Kudos
paulymo
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same black screen issue when connecting over the WAN. I can get PCoIP to work on the LAN and it works great. I have made sure the 50002 (UDP/TCP) are open on the firewall and have asked the firewall team to double check.

I heard that PCoIP may not work over the WAN unless you are VPN'd into the network. Our employee's are at customer sites on a daily basis and using View allows them to be connected to our internal network while being able to access resources while onsite for the customer. Once we are connected via VPN, we lose the ability to get the local resources for the client.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

I am having the same black screen issue with Windows 7 64bit when using PCoIP. When switching to RDP it brings the desktop but everytime it says incorrect user name or password, despite it working through the view client. When you enter the same credentials, in the Windows 7 machine after this error (still through the client) it works. Has anybody seen this? Thanks

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Windows 7 and 64bit is not supported yet.

Best regards,

Linjo

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Do you have the link to the supported o/s list, and is Windows 7 32 bit supported, I am having the same issue in Windows Vista, is it 64 bit thing?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
koit
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue with my View environment.

It seems that there are no processes bound to port 50002 on the View Desktop.

"telnet localhost 50002" returns a unable to connect message.

I can't find any View related services that are not started.

Which process should listen to port 50002 ?

Kind regards

Bernt Torbjornsen

0 Kudos
jtrhin
Contributor
Contributor

We had this same issue last week after upgrading to View 4. Although we initially thought it was network related, what fixed it for us was manually updating the video driver on our parent VM/template. It would appear that VMware Tools does not install the correct version of the video driver for View when you are running Windows 7.

In the Device Manager, if you find that the video driver is listed as VMware SVGA 3D, you have to update it to VMware SVGA II. You can find the driver in C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\video.

This resolved the issue for us and now we're able to connect via PCoIP every time!

0 Kudos
mattpendleton
Contributor
Contributor

Jtrhin,

I tried to change the driver by updating the driver with your instructions but it said the currently installed driver was the latest. I am running View 4.0.1 and vSphere 4 U1 with updated VMware Tools but my video is being reported as the VMware SVGA 3D.

Any ideas.

Go Gators!

Go Gators!
0 Kudos
mattpendleton
Contributor
Contributor

Actually I just found the other option.

Sorry for that!

Go Gators!

Go Gators!
0 Kudos