VMware Horizon Community
mmettle
Contributor
Contributor

Optimise Desktop Reconnection Speed

Dear community,

Please see attached for the rest of the document (the forum system thinks I'm spamming if I put all here.....)

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

First, think 10 times before going to Windows 10. Your login will increase like anything. Other community member will curse me for saying this but Windows 10 is hell for VDI Admins.

1. Here is what I would do in Loading desktop - Thinking of behaviour when the user logs out. We have a similar problem. I increase the idle time. Ask specifically user not to log off.

2. Another problem you stated is, probably related to DNS.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
mmettle
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Preetam for your advice, however, not going to Windows 10 is not an option for us in the NHS.

Regarding your points:

1. To clarify, we are focusing on optimising the desktop reconnection speed. i.e. connecting back to disconnected sessions where the user has already logged into the VM but not actively connected to it from any end point. So increasing the idle time or telling the user not to log off will not help. (we wouldnt do that anyway, due to the fluid nature of our non-persistent VDI and VDI resource efficiency.

2. Which problem? DNS? Can you elaborate please?

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

Sorry I missed the problem (though it was clearly stated in the subject)

You have mentioned user connected via wifi and VLAN difference.

One of the usual suspect is DNS here.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
mmettle
Contributor
Contributor

Are you able to elaborate at all regarding the WiFi vs LAN issue being related to DNS?

0 Kudos
mmettle
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone else have any ideas? :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
tparty
Contributor
Contributor

I have no solutions, but some general troubleshooting tips/info that might be more helpful.

1. Is the experience the same across all devices?
  2. Can you test outside of working hours?
  3. Maybe a network capture could provide more details?
  4. Can you test with different VMs? Maybe spin up one that has no GPOs applied or scripts at login, or run OSOT on it and compare results.
0 Kudos
jzumwalt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am in the same boat here, I have reconnection speeds with win 7 that are about 7 seconds with win 10 it's doubled to 14 seconds

0 Kudos