VMware Horizon Community
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

Ongoing resolution problems with View 4, PCoIP, and Wyse P20

I'm still having issues with multimonitor resolution on my P20 clients with View 4 and PCoIP. I am wondering if anyone else has any insight.

I have 8 VMs currently running for remote office desktops. All are being accessed on Wyse P20 zero clients with 2 monitors. All are running both screens at 1280x1024 with no issues. PCoIP performance has actually been really good -- the remote users are much happier than they were with the V10L clients running RDP.

My issue is with 2 users who want 1024x768 for their screen resolution instead. Initially, when we changed the resolution in the desktop setup in the broker, they would only get one monitor and the other would be blank. This happened every time we changed the resolution to 1024x768. If we changed it back to 1280x1024, it would work fine again on both monitors. We set them to 1280x1024 and went off to take care of other things.

Now the users have complained to management, so we are revisiting the resolution issue. I have provisioned a brand new VM, set it up with the View 4 agent, and connected to it from a Windows XP desktop running the View 4 client. Perfect, 1024x768 worked fine. But when I connect from a P20, I got the single screen again.

Hearing that there was an updated agent, I updated the View agent and the View connection server to version 4.0.1. Now, I can't even choose 1024x768 in the desktop setup (1600x1200 is the lowest in the list) and no matter what I set the resolution to in the connection server, I always get 1280x1024 on both monitors when I connect from a P20.

Here's what I have tried:

- Directly editing the VM video RAM

- Removing/reinstalling the View 4 agent

- Upgrading the View 4 agent and connection server to 4.0.1

- Disabing DDC on the monitors attached to the P20 (I thought it might be trying to choose it's own resolution based on what the monitors reported)

I am stymied. Is anyone successfully running a resolution of 1024x768 on two monitors on a Wyse P20? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Chris

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the same problem. Any update on this issue?

0 Kudos
PCoIPinsider
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A number of users have made this request - Teradici is evaluating a

firmware update that enables the default resolution to be set at the

zero client, rather than using the attached monitor's native resolution.

Ian

SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update on this issue. I hope that Teradici will ge this into their next Firmware release, as this will need to be required for us to move forward with zero clients.

Thanks

0 Kudos
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

That is very good news. Hopefully it comes out soon.

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates on this?

0 Kudos
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not that I know of. There was a new Teradici firmware (3.1.1) released a few days ago but it only contained a minor time zone related fix.

0 Kudos
jieva
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know if this is of help but we have a similar problem. No matter what resolution I set at the broker the virtual machine would not alter resolution when using the P20 nor could I get the second monitor working when using PCOIP. I changed to RDP and the monitor switched resolution and both monitors worked. I then switched back to PCOIP and that now used the resolution set by the RDP. It seems that if you set a resolution in the broker you must connect using RDP at least once for the VM to change to it. Then you can switch back to PCOIP.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior

0 Kudos
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From our experience with the Leadtek VP200 (hardwarewise identical to the P20 and others) with latest firmware and view manager, it is the zeroclient that sets the resolution based on the attached monitor's default resolution. In fact, if you attach an analog monitor with a DVI to analog Dsub converter, the zeroclient will default to a minimum of 1280x1024 resolution needless of what you set in the manager or on the vm prior to connecting as it is unable to detect it. This means that if you have an analog input 15" monitor with a native 1024x768 resolution, it will never work. However, if you have the same monitor with a DVI input, it will work just fine (we have a few 15" with DVI and Dsub inputs). Basically the zeroclient detects the monitor's default resolution and applies this value to the VM when connecting, if it does not exceed the value specified in the VIEW Manager pool. If it cannot detect any (for ex. it is connected to an analog monitor) it will default to 1280x1024. You can verify this by opening the VM console and watching the VM change it's resolution to the one matching the connected monitor on the zero client while it goes blank. When using RDP things are pretty different. RDP works with a predefined resolution which you must manually set, as this is the way it is supposed to work (it is not "autosensing" as with PCoIP) - plus it's "integrated" in XP/Vista/W7 clients and is natively supported. We actually noticed that there are sometimes problems when switching from RDP back to PCoIP without restarting the VM.

This was all studied as the zeroclient was supposed to be a stateless device and was born to connect to it's hardware companion, the Host, so the resolution was passed from the Host to the Portal in order for it to match. Obviously when mixing Virtual Machines with hardware things start to get more dynamic as VMs can have any resolution you desire and you can connect any monitor to the client so this implied further firmware and driver modifications which are still ongoing.

I didn't specifically replicate your setup but from what I have seen the VM will default back to the resolution of the monitor connected to the zeroclient after it has rebooted and after you reconnect to it.

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

In the end, we just enforce resolution change upon login. Essentially changing the resolution to 1024x768 or 800x600 (I know I know) each time the user logs in.

0 Kudos
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

Could I ask how you are setting the resolution at logon? I tried a couple of command-line utilities to set the resolution after the user logs onto the VM, but both of them caused the mouse pointer to disappear, so I stopped going down that road.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

http://download.cnet.com/Display-Changer/3000-2072_4-10912673.html

We are using this right now (the command line version).

Though, we'd rather have teradici/wyse send a firmware to allow us to change the resolution at the zero-client.

0 Kudos
coligher
Contributor
Contributor

Very odd -- that's one of the utilities I used, but every time I used it to switch the resolution, the mouse pointer disappeared. I'll do some more testing with that and see if I can't remedy the mouse issue.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

The version I first tried was 2.1 and it did the same thing (resolution changer). But it also killed my keyboard. Then I found display changer 4.1 that worked fine though, they are actually the same company. They just changed the name.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does anyone else find it hilarious that we are downloading freeware from cnet to resolve this ?

0 Kudos
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FYI Teradici just released firmware 3.2.0 which supports VIEW 4.5 and screen resolution setting from zero client side so Wyse will be releasesing an update soon too.

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I look forward to downloading this when it become available.

0 Kudos
IBeTheBot
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue. I guess this is a quick little fix, but it is not a long term solution.

0 Kudos
cpekar
Contributor
Contributor

Wyse will be releasing the firmware update 3.2 next week. This is according to one of my contacts there.

0 Kudos
SaschaR
Contributor
Contributor

I tested the 3.2.0 release and for me it didn't work.

- the monitor has a native resolution of 1280x1024

- set the resolution to 1024x768 on the P20

- connected to the broker and chose a pool with an absolutely fresh linked clone for me

Three things happened for me, not reproducable which one happens:

1. The P20 connects, screen turns black (no signal), 5-10 seconds later "Session lost!"

2. like the above, but the desktop instead pops up with 1280x1024

3. like the above, but "Session lost!" after a few minutes

But I haven't managed to get the P20 come up with the selected resolution yet. Smiley Sad

S

0 Kudos