VMware Horizon Community
mphodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One desktop pool over multiple clusters?

Hi,

I have a requirement to setup one non-persistent desktop pool for 100 desktops, so that the end-user only clicks on one pool to connect.

However, the back-end infrastructure has two HA/DRS clusters, one for primary site and one for backup.

I need to distribute the desktops over both sites for resilience, but it looks like VDM will only let me choose one cluster per pool.

Is that correct, or is there a way of doing this with VDM?

I suppose I could create two pools, one for each cluster, but then the end-user will have two links to choose from and therefore the load-balancing decision is left to them!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think it would work if you turned the process into two parts. What I mean is setup the pool on one cluster and deploy 50 clients. Then go in and edit the pool to select the second cluster and deploy the second set of 50 clients. The clients deployed to the first cluster will remain present and you can accomplish your goals of having two clusters and one pool. I went through the process of doing this and VDM gave me the message below that led me to believe that it's ok with this process.

Changes to the host/cluster affect newly created virtual machines only. Virtual machines already in the desktop will remain on their current host/cluster. If you change the host/cluster, you must select a new resource pool and datastore.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think it would work if you turned the process into two parts. What I mean is setup the pool on one cluster and deploy 50 clients. Then go in and edit the pool to select the second cluster and deploy the second set of 50 clients. The clients deployed to the first cluster will remain present and you can accomplish your goals of having two clusters and one pool. I went through the process of doing this and VDM gave me the message below that led me to believe that it's ok with this process.

Changes to the host/cluster affect newly created virtual machines only. Virtual machines already in the desktop will remain on their current host/cluster. If you change the host/cluster, you must select a new resource pool and datastore.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
mphodge
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep that seems to do the trick Smiley Wink, although it does need keeping track of.

It would be very useful if more than one cluster could be selected when defining the pool, as can be done with the datastores.

Maybe for a later version?

0 Kudos