VMware Horizon Community
JMARTIN16
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Office 366/Outlook - Opening Word attachments trigger 'Open with...' prompt

Hey all,

I'm scratching my head at this issue I'm having in our VDI environment and I haven't been able to find anything concrete.

The details:

• Running Office 365 1908 in Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 non-persistent VDI.
  • Office suite is installed on the parent image.
  • If I open the Outlook client in a VDI session and open a Word doc (.docx) attachment, it give the open with prompt:
    pastedImage_1.png
  • Checking the box does nothing, I get the prompt every time.
  • Other Office attachments (like Excel files) are not impacted.
  • I see the same issue with .txt files and Notepad.

It looks like it has something to do with the user profile, but I'm not sure what has caused it to start to behave this way.

VMware info:
AppVol v2.18

DEM v9.11

VMWare Horizon Agent v7.12

Thanks and let me know if any other info is needed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

The Windows Group Policy setting Do not show the 'new application installed' notification needs to be enabled, to prevent (occasional) popups of the "How do you want to open this file?"/"Keep using this app" dialog:

This policy setting resides in Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer:

pastedImage_8.png

Then you can configure FTA in DEM to open '.docx' extension file type with MS word always:

pastedImage_9.png

Mark the post as helpful/correct if it answers your query.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi

The Windows Group Policy setting Do not show the 'new application installed' notification needs to be enabled, to prevent (occasional) popups of the "How do you want to open this file?"/"Keep using this app" dialog:

This policy setting resides in Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | File Explorer:

pastedImage_8.png

Then you can configure FTA in DEM to open '.docx' extension file type with MS word always:

pastedImage_9.png

Mark the post as helpful/correct if it answers your query.

JMARTIN16
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is exactly what I needed and seems to take care of it.

Thanks a ton!

0 Kudos