VMware Horizon Community
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor

Office 365 Security updates on gold image

When I installed Office 365 on our Win10 gold image, I did it with automatic updates disabled per a recommendation I found.  I would like to be able to have O365 security updates installed on the gold image but not other O365 updates.  How would I go about doing that.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Can you rephrase I have no idea what your asking for.

I would like to be able to have O365 security updates installed on the gold image but not other O365 update

you can do office updates as normal just turn on automatic updates, and before you set a snapshot turn off automatic updates. You just don't leave it on ebcause you don't want the clones to start auto upgrading.

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor

If I turned on updates on the gold image, I wasn't sure if there was a way to only install security updates. I know on my PC O365 get installed automatically, but I don't get to pick which ones get installed.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can download the O365 critical patches and updates manually from Microsoft and apply them on the gold master image and then recompose the pool.

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor

I had hoped to do this with WSUS.  I have Office 365 Client checked for downloads, but I'm not seeing any O365 updates.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You shouldn't do anything any the parent image with wsus or sccm, parent image management should either be scripted or manual. If you use sccm or wsus you run into issues where its enabled in the clones causing issues.

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor

We use WSUS to apply the Windows patches only on the parent image. We turn off the Windows Update service prior to creating the clones.  But apparently there isn't a way to download Office 365 security only updates into WSUS. At least not that I can find.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just launch an Office program like Word or Excel on the gold image without signing in, and click File - Office Account - Update Now

0 Kudos
ddockter
Contributor
Contributor

But can you limit to just security updates or do you get all the updates - new features et al?

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ddockter wrote:

But can you limit to just security updates or do you get all the updates - new features et al?

Good question... that method runs a "full" update. I don't know how to only get security updates. I'm not even sure if that's possible, Microsoft has completely separated Office from Windows Update.

0 Kudos