VMware Horizon Community
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Office 365 Outlook Email Profile downloading emails every time an user login to VDI

Hi Team,

I have a setup with 1 horizon server with 10 virtual desktops. I have a host pc with installed applications and the same image has been pushed to all VDI.

Now, I tried to login outlook and it works fine. But every time when I open outlook, emails are downloading. This happens for all users.

Is there a way to setup a permanent outlook profile for each user who logged in to VDI, so that emails will not download all the time for every login?

Thanks,
Ram

4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You need to disable caching mode

Plan and configure Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook 2016 for Windows - Outlook | Microsoft Docs

"Online Mode works by using information directly from the server, and, as the name implies, it requires a connection. Mailbox data is only cached in memory and never written to disk."

ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sjesse,

Thanks. Works well with Online Mode.

Ram

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ram,

Exchange Cached Mode helps you to overcome this OST file creation every time in a non-persistent VDI. However, with my experience, since O365 being a cloud application, reading mails with bigger attachments and switching between emails in inbox becomes slow and sometimes Outlook becomes unresponsive. We have followed the below blog to overcome these issues and still cache the OST using UEM and Writable Volume combination. Works well.

Managing OST Files with App Volumes & User Environment Manager

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. Sure I will make a note of this. For now, I use unchecked cache mode and it works good for me as of now.

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos