VMware Horizon Community
epa80
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Odd Video Issue - Lock Screen?

Environment: ESXi 6 Update 2, Horizon 6.2, Windows 7 Linked Clones.

We are seeing an odd issue that I'll attempt to lay out, but, we're still trying to isolate the true details/cause. Bear with me.

It seems on a subset of VMs that lock their session in Windows due to Imprivata, if they sit for a while locked (like overnight), when we come in in the morning, we'll move the mouse to wake them up (they go into a screensaver from the Windows OS side that presents a bunch of mandatory slides), and, instead of going right back to the Imprivata login screen, instead it will show the wallpaper from the windows session for about 40 seconds, THEN finally present the login. Once we login, the VM is usable, but, seems a tad slow, even though I don't see any real process hanging. pocip_server_win is running a tad high but doesn't seem to be crushing it. Again, still digging in on the details, hoping I find the same issue tomorrow AM and can check on the processes running again.

Keep in mind: when I say the wallpaper from the Windows session, it's essentially the Windows session desktop, but without all the icons. Not sure I'm making any sense, but, that's what we see. Perhaps it's a video refresh issue?

As a comparison, a VM right next to this (both are connected via ThinOS terminals) that has no lock screen but everything else is the same, did not seem to experience the issue when we came in. Tonight though, I locked it manually myself via the Windws Key + L. I am going to see when I arrive in the morning, if this one sees the same odd issue. Right now all I see to have to focus in on, is the locking.

I'm going to try and eliminate the terminals as an issue as well by hooking up other models/OS versions.

Hope someone has seen SOMETHING similar to this, and if so, any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BigDigital
Contributor
Contributor

Hi epa80,

Is the screen saver you mentioned on your endpoint or the guest OS?  Typically you don't want to run Screen Savers in your VDI environment.  If you are running a thin client of some sort, they generally don't come with alot of disk space or RAM.  You may want to disable your screen savers and test performance after. 

0 Kudos