VMware Horizon Community
txfree2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nvidia driver not installing

So we just got GPU's up and running on our esxi servers so excited. but now I I have made my Win10 VM and none of the drivers that I've downloaded from nvidia are working. I have tried several of them.

I've tried:

451.82-tesla-desktop-win10-64bit

390.85-tesla-desktop-win10-64bit-international

I tried a couple for Grid drivers as well.

Vsphere 6.7U3

Tesla

T-Series

Tesla T4

What am I missing?

Tyson

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,

from my understanding you have to install a grid driver on the esxi and use a compatible driver version on the client.

I think both drivers are always included in the same download pack. Also you need a nvidia licensing server.

To install the driver on a client you have to add a new 'shared PCI device' (not sure if that's the correct english translation) to the VM in the vCenter.

After the driver is installed on the client you can open the nvidia systemcontroller, jump to the licensing point and add your licensing server address.

That's how it's working in my environment. Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Jens

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey,

from my understanding you have to install a grid driver on the esxi and use a compatible driver version on the client.

I think both drivers are always included in the same download pack. Also you need a nvidia licensing server.

To install the driver on a client you have to add a new 'shared PCI device' (not sure if that's the correct english translation) to the VM in the vCenter.

After the driver is installed on the client you can open the nvidia systemcontroller, jump to the licensing point and add your licensing server address.

That's how it's working in my environment. Smiley Happy

Best regards,

Jens

vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Don't forget to setup your license server Smiley Happy

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Along with what others have said, make sure your following https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/10.0/grid-software-quick-start-guide/index.html there are multiple steps beyond just installing the drivers that need to be done.

txfree2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone I found the correct license. and it installed perfectly.

Can you not use the Web Console in vcenter? all I get is a black screen I have to RDP into the vm to make the image.

And when I try to publish the image out on Horizon 7.12 I get this error. 'Snapshot NVIDIA GRID VGPU support does not match desktop setting' can't even push it out to the instant clone pool.

I followed this KB:  VMware Knowledge Base  that did not work either.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

RDP to the image

Go back to VMware site and downloads, under VMware Horizon 7.X

Select and download and then install this on your master image.

pastedImage_0.png

From the Horizon Client you can connect directly via its IP, change the SSL of the client to not verify.

Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When you have the graphics driver installed on the vm the web console and the client equivalent stop working. That's what the vendor of my grid cards told me too.

Maybe there is a solution but I haven't found it yet. :smileylaugh:

vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The "blank" screen that you see on vSphere console is expected. You have two video cards - one emulated (vSGA/soft3D) and one passthrough (vDGA). Passthrough (vDGA) card cannot share framebuffer to vSphere console output and you must use some remote protocol to access graphic card output.

txfree2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

any answer to my 2nd questions?

When I try to publish the image out on Horizon 7.12 I get this error. 'Snapshot NVIDIA GRID VGPU support does not match desktop setting' can't even push it out to the instant clone pool.

I followed this KB:  VMware Knowledge Base  that did not work either.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You defined a vGPU Profile on the VM correct?

then what settings with in the Pool did you set?

0 Kudos
txfree2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for your help, I went back through on my pool settings and I found the problem it's working now thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
pbastiaans1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the way.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
alex17pat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My problem is fixed by updating the NVIDIA driver from device manager.

0 Kudos