VMware Horizon Community
stevem11
Contributor
Contributor

Novice needs help

I have latest Fusion on my intel iMac [10.7.3] and latest iPad. All updates installed. I downloaded VMware View. I am retired and have no access to an Administrator, but would like to remotely access my iMac over WiFi, especially my home WiFi system. I guess I do not understand the nomenclature, because when I go to the first screen on my iPad to Connect and enter the IP address of my computer or the WiFi Router [Apple Time Machine combo], I either get rejected immediately or it tries and later times out.

Connected to my main router is another router I call MSHOME. I tried entering MSHOME as the Clkient name also and using its IP address with my iPad WiFi also set for that address and it fails too, saying "A server withthe specified hostname could not be found, Verify View Connection Server address, your network and VPN settings are correct and try again".

I guess i don't know what a View Connection Server is ............

Is there a way to make the iPad and iMac connect, or am I naively trying to do something not intended for a home user? I go to all the various screens for help and see actions that mention VPN and other things I do not understand. Hopefully the answer is obvious to you!

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the COmmunity - I think you are making things to complicated for yourself -VMware View allows companied to virtualize their desktops - If your requirement is simply to remotely connect to your MAC remotely from your iPad I would look at something like a service offered from logmein.com - you will be able to connect and mange your MAC from your iPAD as long as you have internet access -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
stevem11
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for promptness and candid advice. i accept what you say. The iPad Viewer sure seemed more straight forward than other methods like you mentioned - wish they had said in their materials it is intended just for business use for many iPad viewers to see and interact with corporate information ....

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The iPAD viewer is a great solution but the infrastructure you would have to put in place to get to work will be more of an effort than something like LogMeIn

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos