VMware Horizon Community
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Notice: FSlogix and UWP application compatibility awareness

Good afternoon, I wanted to inform the community of the below incase anyone runs into this situation.  I don't have a resolution for this scenario right now.  I just wanted to make everyone aware of the below.  The below response is directly from Microsoft support.

Microsoft Support response

It is not possible to run Modern Apps (UWP Apps like calculator, pictures) along with FsLogix, this is by design behavior and this will happen with any roaming profile solution, other vendors might have or offer a different workaround.   

The Product Group team is aware of these incompatibilities that the Store apps are not supported with roaming profiles. 

Applications installed directly into the base image by an admin will work as long as the profile is not used to roam between different OS versions.  The MS engineering teams are working together to improve support and compatibility, but it will involve large changes across the Windows OS, and FsLogix.” For now the solution for these issues is not implemented and there is not ETA confirmed,

There are workarounds but we don’t guarantee that it fixes the problem. They may or may not work (In this case, not) 
this issue will take some time to be addressed by our design product group, from FsLogix working with the OS design group, this could be a great change.

To give you more context of the incompatibility:
Modern apps have part of the info in the base OS and part of the info in the user profile,
and FsLogix seamlessly redirects user profiles. This causes problems with persistency.
When the Modern app version in the FsLogix user profile registry doesn’t match the version of Modern app running in the base OS, it doesn’t appear to be available for the user.

These are the workaround that I tried with no positive results.

---------------------------------------------  WORKAROUND 1 - Exclude the packages folder ---------------------------------------------   
on the redirections.xml please add the following exclusion: 
%localappdata%\packages 

example: <Exclude Copy="0">\AppData\Local\Packages\</Exclude> 
here you can find more info about how to create and configure Redirections.xml https://docs.microsoft.com/es-mx/fslogix/manage-profile-content-cncpt#redirectionsxml 

---------------------------------------------  WORKAROUND 2 – Apply Exclusions  ---------------------------------------------   

Step 1 
Exclude the following directories using redirections.xml on a test machine 
•%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy 
•%localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy 
•%localappdata%\Packages\<app package basically any folder>\AC\TokenBroker (this one would basically need to be a script to check all the directories under \Packages and then clear the TokenBroker folder if it exists; i.e. so can't really be done by redirections.xml unless you make a very long list.). 
•%localappdata%\Microsoft\TokenBroker(is used to manage permissions for the Windows App Store.) 

Step 2 
Recommended to create an automated task that deletes the following registry keys when a user signs off: 
•HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity 
•HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IdentityCRL 
•HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AAD 

---------------------------------------------  WORKAROUND 3 – Logon Script ---------------------------------------------   

This is another workaround, you can create a logon script to re-register all the UWP apps:  
$regkey = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications" 
$apps = Get-ChildItem -Path $regkey 
ForEach($key in $apps) 
{ 
    Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register (Get-ItemProperty -Path $key.PsPath).Path 
} 
$regkey = "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\Applications" 
$apps = Get-ChildItem -Path $regkey 
ForEach($key in $apps) 
{ 
    Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register (Get-ItemProperty -Path $key.PsPath).Path 
} 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jubish-Jose
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks for posting this.

We sometimes see issues with Calculator while using FSLogix. It disappears after a VM maintenance for some users. Sometimes it will come back if we reinstall it via Powershell or re-register. But sometimes it won't work and we have to delete the user's profile VHD and a new VHD will usually fix it.

-- If you find this reply helpful, please consider accepting it as a solution.
0 Kudos
_eddychong
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information. I wonder if the situation i am facing is related to this compatibility issue.

We have two desktop pools having fslogix agent installed and one have the profile container enabled but the other one only office container enabled. However, when we downloaded Microsoft Whiteboard app from Microsoft Store and launch it, it causes screen freezes once we start doodling something.

I am going to create a test pool without fslogix to see if the Whiteboard app freezes the desktop.

0 Kudos
Hotrod76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have to perform the same steps with my customer in order to resolve the issue. 

0 Kudos
grantckohler1
Contributor
Contributor

Has there been any update to this compatibility issue? I'm currently trying to get a small number of apps preloaded in bases and deployed to all users in our non persistent VDI environment and keep running into problems. 

0 Kudos
davidgerber
Contributor
Contributor

This is causing me issues as well.  I kept thinking it was an optimization issue on the image, but I had a user that had problems with the profile vhd attaching and they had no problems with the modern apps.  I fixed the vhd issue and now he has the calculator issue.  For us it seems to affect calculator, snipping tool, and microsoft photos.  

0 Kudos
LK3035
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem, in this case with Snipping tool and the Windows keyboard shortcuts like win + shift +S to capture screen.

We have a "workaround" f if you can call it like this, if we run in powershell:

Start-Process -FilePath "c:\windows\explorer.exe" -Argumentlist "ms-screenclip:"

After this , Windows Keyboard Shortcuts, works again, but you lose it after a logoff. IF you remove fslogix, everything works.

we are looking for a way to make it work.

0 Kudos
victor59hk
Contributor
Contributor

new join to VMware communitities

about win+shift+s, I just start migrate w1909 to w2009, I just exp. this issue too

newest fslogix do not fix this issue

i tried below script likely work (user permission), need run on next logon after you signout

this likely fix 2 issue, win+shift+s, chinese input issue (no pop up for select character)

Add-AppxPackage -register "c:\windows\systemapps\MicrosoftWindows.Client.CBS_cw5n1h2txyewy\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

0 Kudos
eucninja3
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone tried the latest version of FSLogix? Currently in public preview and it seems like one of the new features will help with Modern apps issues like this.

FSLogix Release Notes - FSLogix | Microsoft Learn

0 Kudos