VMware Horizon Community
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Notice: Adobe Flash End of Life will affect versions of Horizon earlier than 7.10 - Please Read

Please read this blog if you are running VMware Horizon less than version 7.10.  
The Adobe Flash End of Life on 12/31/20 will affect you and your choices are:

Blog: https://blogs.vmware.com/euc/2020/11/adobe-flash-player-end-of-life-vmware-horizon.html

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

I found this out drectly myself without warning. On version 7.7 waiting on new hardware.  Now i can't recompose.  Any work-a-rounds for that??  

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

just download firefox and older version flash if you can't upgrade immediately, if you isolate the vm  with firewall rules should limit any security risk.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

See whether https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78589 is an option for you.

André

novell1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, I did install a new VM temporarly until all is updated to Horizon8. The new VM is not member of a domain (workgroup) it is working with Firefox V70 portable without dns entry's.  With that, it is save and the hole administration with View 7.x is working with flash fine.

0 Kudos
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was running 7.10 and when upgrading to 7.13 I found that there is still no way to set a pairing password for the Security Server in the HTML5 interface. I worked around this by using a Windows 7 machine and rolled back the date 1 year for Flash to work using the "good old" flex interface. I didn't find this script until digging further on the issue. However, is this by design/wanted? It seems that this option has been left out in the HTML5 version also in version 7.13.

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yeah it is by design.  There are no plans to port security server management into the HTML5 console.  That’s why I wrote the script to allow management of security servers with a GUI and to set the pairing password.  Everyone should really be moving to UAG.

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I noticed that there is one issue (possibly a bug), but it's been in the HTML client since the first version, and I'm on 7.13. If I rename a snapshot in vCenter, and Horizon is currently using that snapshot as the default image in a pool, Horizon will not allow me to change the snapshot. I just get a blank box under "Parent Image" and the browse button doesn't do anything. 

When I had this happen before, I had to launch the Flex console, edit the pool and click vcenter settings tab. Then it pops up an error message saying "Error occurred during vcenter operation". But once I click OK on that error, I'm able to select a different snapshot, and I can go back to the HTML console and it's back to normal.

1.PNG3.PNG

0 Kudos
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chris, the script get's "stuck" just after having entered the Login credentials to Horizon and just sits there indefinitely. I tried this locally on the Connection Server and remotely on a Windows 10 client and the same behavior occurs. The only way I can exit is if i close the powershell. The normal HTML5 login works fine on the connection server. Do you have any ideas on what could be the issue? Thanks!

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you run the script did you connect to the connection server you want to pair with a security server and not the security server?  Make sure from the same system you can log into a horizon connection server via PowerCLI

Connect-HVServer -server horizon1.mydomain.com -user demoadmin -password mypassword -domain mydomain

Also - what version of PowerShell are you running the script with?

Thanks

Chris 

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
DaIceMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Chris, yes I am connecting to my Connection server IP not SS. My powershell version is:

PS X:\> $host.version

Major Minor Build Revision
----- ----- ----- --------
5 1 19041 906

I am able to connect to the connection server with the connect-hvserver cmdlet *prior* to disabling SSL check with

Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -InvalidCertificateAction Ignore -Confirm:$false

I get the sucessful connection prompts:

ServiceUri : https://192.168.0.7/view-vlsi/sdk
RefCount : 1
User : Administrator
Domain : ****
Id : /ViewServer=administrator@192.168.0.7/
SessionSecret : 84f9bdd8-b6fb-4798-96c8-ca883dd67c89
IsConnected : True
ExtensionData : VMware.Hv.Services
Name : 192.168.0.7
Uid : /ViewServer=administrator@192.168.0.7/
Client : VMware.VimAutomation.HorizonView.Impl.V1.ViewServerClientImpl

I tried to add this flag also to your script which it successfully executes prior to the login string (under the "try" routine) but it still hangs. With the Powershell ISE I see that even if I stop the execution the shell is unresponsive so something else is up.

Thanks for the support!

P.S. I installed powershell 7.1.3 and it no longer hangs - however now I am getting an invalid certificate error:

"An error occurred when logging on The InvalidCertificateAction setting 'Ignore' is not supported on this platform. Use Set-PowerCLIConfiguration to set the value for the InvalidCertificateAction option to Fail or Ignore."

The funny thing is that this PowerCLIconfiguration setting *is* already set to ignore.

** Further update - Removing "- force" after the connection string in the script fixed it and connects sucessfully. However when I attempt to set a pairing password I now get another error:

An error occurred when setting the Security Server Pairing Password: Exception calling "ConnectionServer_Update" with "2" argument(s): "ExceptionType : VMware.Hv.MethodFault
ErrorMessage : Missing required parameter 'id'"

**** Success! Somehow the script wasn'ìt parsing my connection server.id (if $server.name eq $horizon.server) and so it wasn't priming the $script:csid var with my server.id and the api call failed as this was a null value. I simply remmed out the if so it would forcefully parse it and I was able to set my pairing password. N.B I tried both with IP and host name. I stuck with IP.

So for this script to sucessfully work without crashing you need a Powershell version of 7 (i think 6+ works too as I saw many referenced in the API descriptions) and if you are then having this strange missing ID error it's due to a parsing problem and you can rem that "if" statement and the previous block if you're using the IP address of the CS.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I found another issue with HTML (7.13) vs Flash. When I detached this user's persistent disk, it disappeared completely. I couldn't even locate it with the Import. But on the Flash version, it's clearly there:

Horizon_HTML.JPGHorizon_Flash.JPG

0 Kudos
Le0Getz
Contributor
Contributor

Ya I found you can not change the instant clone admin either for the pools in the HTML console.  We have a old Windows 7 desktop we use the flash console on to get around these limitations until we can get upgraded. 

0 Kudos
Chobby69
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DaIceMan. When I rem out the line . . .

#      if($server.name -eq $horizonserver)

{
      $sversion = $server.version
      $script:csid = $server.id
      $script:cs = $server.name
  }

. . . I still get the error. Did you just rem it out as above?

}
0 Kudos