VMware Horizon Community
Hitu201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Not able to recomose using new snapshot

Hoping someone has answer to this. I have a automatic dedicated pool which I created with 8 VM's. 3 of my users were logged in and I made some changes to my parent image.

1. Logged into the parent image made changes.

2. Took a snapshot and recompose the pool with parent image and new snapshot.

At this point the user are getting the new VM with all the changes I made to it. Problem is 3 of my users are not getting the updates that I made even after recomposing the pool. My understand was if I recompose the pool it should take the parent image and the new snapshot which has all the updates I made. Also just to see if my parent image and the new snapshots were working fine I crated a brand new pool and that seems to be working fine. Is there a step that I am missing when recomposing the pool with new snapshot?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Because those users was logged in their desktops were not updated.

I would think a simple restart should do the trick, but you probably tried that

So what I suggest is the following

You might need to reset those VMs from View Manager.

Have you tried to shut down those 3 vDesktops completely and power on again?

Please award points if this helps Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As the other poster said it might not have went through since the user's were logged in.  When recomposing there is an option to log people off after a certain amount of time so that the VM's can be recomposed.   

0 Kudos
Hitu201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I did reset and rebooted the VM that did not help. Also my next move is to put all the VM's in maintenance mode or shut all of them down completely when I’m recomposing the pool. I will let you guys know how it goes. Again thank you for posing back I do really appreciate it.

0 Kudos
okeedokee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Recompose the three (not the pool), instead of resetting.

Regards

0 Kudos
Hitu201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Today I logged into my parent image after 3 months. I ran all the MS Updates, Adobe updates, Java updates, added some links to the favorites folders, copy the profile and made a copy of it and change the copy profile to default so I get all my setting across the board when users log into any VM that are being created. Once all the steps were done I went and took a snapshot. Once the snapshot was created I recompose the pool which consists of 5 VM'S. So I’m assuming that once I recompose all of the 6 VM should reflect to the new snapshot that has all of my updates. I was wrong one i had one of my co-worker logs into it and some of the changes were not there for example all the links that were added not there. I had another user log in same situation with him some changes were there. So it this point the only fix that I try is to delete each vm one by one and let it recreate itself. Once they are recreated it I see all of the changes but the problem with this is I have to redo all of my settings such as outlook. When I launch outlook in the VM it looked like it was freshly install and I had to go through the configurations. My bigger concern is what if I have to recompose a pool that contains 40 vm's 4 I can deal with but 40 are out of control. So what is it that I’m not doing right when recomposing the pool? Any help is greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Jubish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You can use the option 'Force users to logoff' when initiating recompose to make sure taht all the desktops are recomposed. This will intimate the user that the desktops is being maintained and initiate the recompose forcefully.

If the Outlook was freshly installed before taking the snapshot, or if the profile was created afresh (you replaced the default profile), you need to reconfigure Outlook and other applications related to user profile in each clone. Other wise, Outlook on each desktop will be created with the same user profile.

If you want to preserve user profile, do not replace default profile.  If you are installing Outlook freshly on parent image, then one time configuration is must, either manually or using some scripts.

Thanks,

- J

0 Kudos
jkpk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Follow okeedokee procedure. Recompose will not automatically happen for the vm's which are missed due to active sessions. Prefer non-peak time for recompose\refresh\rebalance.

Pravin

0 Kudos
gvenkatsumanth
Contributor
Contributor

While initiating recompose we will have two options

1) Force logoff users

2) Wait for users to log off

If you select the first option the users will be force logged off the session in 5min and all the desktops in the pool will be recomposed.

If you go for the second option the desktops will recompose after the user ends the active session.

When going for the second option you need to manually check whether all the desktops in the pool are recomposed with the latest snapshot or not.

In the view admin console, select the pool-->inventory-->desktops (view composer details) and check whether all the desktops are recompose with the latest snap of the pool and any left out desktops do them manually.

Thanks,

Venkat.

0 Kudos
B0N3201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running into the same issue.

For some reason, when users are already logged into a pool and you schedule a Recompose Task, the logged on machines don't get the new snapshot.  When you do a Refresh on those logged on VMs, the VM refreshes to its previous state which is the older snapshot.

I've tried force log-off with the same results.  The only thing that works is to wait for the users to be logged off, highlight the VMs, and Recompose them separately.

Kind of a pain .. anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos