VMware Horizon Community
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not able to create a writable volume as there is no source template. Please help to create source template

Screen shots for your reference:

WV.png

2.jpg

4.jpg

0 Kudos
15 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
HussamRabaya
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

it seem you forgot yo upload the templates

you need to upload the prepacked templates

check the screenshot below

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi HussamRabaya,

I hope already did that during initial setup. Please refer to the screen shot below.

Do I need to click "Upload Prepackaged Volumes" again? Will that impact my existing AppStacks template?

Untitled.jpg

Thanks,
Ram

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Browse "_ds4"  datastore in vSphere Web client, navigate to appvolumes/writable_templates folder and check if you have the template VMDK is present. Else check for "Cloudvolumes\writable_templates" folder and see if the template VMDK exists

Browse "_ds3" datastore in vSphere Web client, navigate to appvolumes/writable_templates folder and check if you have the template VMDK is present. Check for 'cloudvolumes' folder also in the datastore. if you find then, you may manually copy the writable volume template VMDK to the '_ds4' datastore and to the respective writable_templates" folder.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Yes click it again, if you look at the locations it mentions it says app_templates, which only includes templates not currently running appstacks. You need to do it for each datastore you want to place appstacks in.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Ugh meant to share image, the storage drop down lets you pick where you want to upload the files.

pastedImage_0.png

ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. Sure I will check this from my end.

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please find the screen shot below of my ds3 and ds4 data stores. Please suggest now on how to create a source template for writable volume without affecting my existing app stacks and production environment.

DS3_AppsFolder.jpg

DS3_AppsTemplatesFolder.jpg

DS4_WritableFolder.jpg

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are the options to select in the below image checkbox if I plan to use this upload Prepackaged volumes? Will this create a source template folder inside my data store? what will be default source template size?

Also what are the differences on the three check boxes mentioned about writable templates?

PrePackaged.jpg

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ram,

Since you have not uploaded Writable Volume templates during the initial configuration, you do not see "Writable" and "Writable_templates" directory under [datastore]/CloudVolumes directory. You only see "apps" and "app_templates" directory. You can safely upload both Appstack and Writable Volume templates to the respective datastore you have chosen for Appstack and Writable Volumes. These templates do not affect the production appstacks or writable volumes as they get uploaded to a different folder.

All production appstacks reside in [Datastore]\CloudVolumes\apps\ directoy and all production writable volume disks reside in [Datastore]\CloudVolume\writable directory. However, the templates get apploaded to [Datastore]\CloudVolume\writable_tempates directory (for creating new writable volume) and [Datastore]\CloudVolume\app_tempates (for creating new appstacks).

In the "Upload Prepackaged Volumes" select the datastore you have configured for Writable Volumes, select "Use vCenter"and under Volumes choose one or more checkmarks  to upload the templates.

template_profile_only_workstaion - For User Profile settings only

template_uia_only_workstaion - For User Installed Applications only

template_uia_plus_profile_workstaion - For retaining both User Profile settings and User Installed Applications

/Jon

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

It will easier for me to upload writable templates to my datastore then. But I want to know what are the differences between the three check marks and what till the default template size while uploading to datastore.

Thanks,
Ram

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure what your asking, as the last comment answered that, the checkboxes are asking you if you want to upload that type of template. They are all max 20gb in size, but in reality they are thin provisioned so they are much smaller.

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure I will try this.

Thanks,

Ram

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Ram,

As sjesse explained earlier, each writable volume template is used for different purpose. You may safely upload them to the needed datastore without affecting your production.

/Jon

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
ramachandrankes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks. I will work on this and update the same from my end to configure writable volume template.

Thanks,
Ram

0 Kudos