VMware Horizon Community
geofg88
Contributor
Contributor

Noob question about vmware view

Hi Everyone

I am completely new to VMware view and I just need one question answered.

Is VMware view installed on the client machines instead of the OS and it then connects to the VMware server side of things which sends it the PCoIP, or is it just an application on the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

VMware View is a management solution that allows Virtual Desktops to be created and managed centrally. You still install your guest OS on your VMs and then you use View to deploy and manage these VMs. You install your View infrastructure on your ESXi hosts. For more info: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-46-architecture-planning.pdf

geofg88
Contributor
Contributor

What is the setup for using wyse P20's as an example? Will each zero client require an OS 1st then the VMware View app to be installed to access the virtual desktops?

If VMWare View is unable to do this is there a VMware product that would allow me to do it? Essentially remove the OS from a laptop and turn it into a zero client machine?

Cheers

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

You will install VMware View in guest Windows 2008 VMs for your connection server. If you are using View Premier edition then you will install the composer service on the Virtual center server. You use the Wyse P20 thin client to connect you to your View VM that is in your datacenter. You install Windows XP or Windows 7 to the guest VMs. Please take a look at the document I sent and it will explain everything. As far as turning your laptop or desktop computer into an access device for view, I believe that there are bootable CDs that allow you to do this with View, as I have heard people using them for Xen. Hope this helps.

geofg88
Contributor
Contributor

OK thank you for your help

0 Kudos
k_wells
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

For a desktop machine (be it a physical machine or a VM) it needs a View agent to be installed. The desktop machine is then controllable via the View Administrator console (you can add it into a pool that is visable to the View client).

Kerrod

0 Kudos