VMware Horizon Community
Norco
Contributor
Contributor

Nonpersistent desktops in a Nonpersistent pool DNS issue

I am sorry if this is listed in a Best Practice document or in the forum somewhere. I have been searching and have yet to find the answer. Hopefully I can make this as clear as possible, if not please be patient with me.

I am trying to deploy a nonpersistent pool of non-persistent desktops. Reason being is that I will have a ton of different people logging on to a ton of different Wyse terminals with a ton of different ID's. I want the environment to look the same regardless of how they log on. All saved information will be to network locations. I have a template set up as the image for the desktops. I am using VDM 2.1 to deploy the desktops to the users.

My problem, I create the pool and everything begins fine, DNS names are all unique and created correctly. When one of the pool desktops gets reset, which will happen daily, the DNS/Computer name reverts to the DNS name of the Template image. Obviously, this causes issues when you have multiple pc's on a network with the same DNS name.

What I am looking for is an "easy" way to create a nonperistent pool of desktops which maintains thier unique DNS name. The desktops will not be destroyed after use, but will be reset daily.

A workaround I have found is to have the template set as a persistent desktop, create the pool, and then go through each desktop and change the Hard Disk settings to nonpersistent. I could end up with a very large pool of desktops and would prefer to have this automated. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Norco
Contributor
Contributor

To make this even more complicated, after the pool is created, I have to log into each desktop with a domain account and then shut it down and change it to non-persistent. If I do not do this, if I simply power off the desktop and change it to non-persistent without first logging on, I can not connect via the Wyse Terminals, or VDM Web Access. The connection will either attempt, with the desktop starting to load and then failing, or I will simply get a notice that the desktop is not available.

I have things working for now, but just wanted to put his out there in case anyone else has experienced this, or knows a way around it.

0 Kudos