VMware Horizon Community
vgernyc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No 3D in PCoIP?

Hi,

I just cleared up things inhibiting PCoIP from even working. Now after poking around I noticed movies and Adobe Flash now work but no 3D acceleration?

I read there may be 3 modes to PCoIP.

any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm sorry that you are disapointed but that is correct, hardware rendered 3D like DirectX3d and OpenGL is not supported currently.

I do not agree that this is the main feature with PCoIP; the much improved user experience over LAN/WAN is the main feature

.To get hardware acceleration you need Teradici PCoIP hardware in the backend.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
vgernyc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What's the point of PCoIP in VMware View if the main feature is disabled?? I just read this knowledge base article that says 3D is not supported in ESX 4. The same smoke and mirrors like Citrix XenDesktop needing $1000 pair of video cards in a non-virtualized environment just to use 3D.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101194...

Shame on you guys!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm sorry that you are disapointed but that is correct, hardware rendered 3D like DirectX3d and OpenGL is not supported currently.

I do not agree that this is the main feature with PCoIP; the much improved user experience over LAN/WAN is the main feature

.To get hardware acceleration you need Teradici PCoIP hardware in the backend.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
caldwelr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Given that they demonstrated Google Earth at VMworld I don't think some 3D capability was too much to expect. Definitely a case of over-promising and under-delivering.

VMworld 2009 View Keynote

0 Kudos
1SmokinJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

3D OpenGL is a BIG Deal.

We Need it NOW!

If VMware wants to grow you have to allow companies with a lot invested in VMware to buy the software so we can reduce our hardware foot print/power/cooling/space.

Thanks,

-The Average Joe

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There is no smoke and mirrors here? We have said for ages that ESX based VMs do not support 3D?

WP

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Anything that uses an emulation mode of software rasterizeing that leverages CPUs for rendering will work?

WP

0 Kudos
caldwelr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View the VMware presentation that I linked above. The presenter touts OpenGL and DirectX rendering with VMware View and PCOIP. He demonstrates Google Earth. What hypervisor is he running VMware View against if not ESX?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The first part was a Type 1 Hypervisor ( CVP ) the second part talking about different content types was PCoIP working with View. The Google part was using soft to soft connecting to a VM. Also as part of View we support the hardware based PCoIP solutions that support GPUs for highend 3D OpenGL / Direct3D.

Looking at all the other View / PCoIP presentations an public information there are lots of things detailing how workstation class users such as designers are handled in View by using hardware based solutions.

I can see where this video does not paint that clearly as there are not any diagrams showing the solution end to end etc.

WP

0 Kudos
dturner71
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a few thoughts regarding this:

1) It's interesting that the option is present in the gui config but greyed out. Is 3D support coming in the future or is this something we shouldn't hold our breath for?

2) What types of programs does this mean won't work? I work at a library and we offer some kids games but none of those work, regardless of how simple they might be. They must all use DirectX to one degree or another...so what else falls into this category? I don't like surprises and so would like to get a good handle on what we're talking about.

3) Google Earth works but it uses software emulation and tells you so when it starts up.

0 Kudos
1SmokinJoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The demo at VMworld 2009 explicitly said DirectX and OpenGL. Is there a beta that we can get our hands on at work? This video at the Teradici booth showed a Dell server with 8 Teradici devices in it. A hypervisor was mentioned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOrB0SSY1Z8&feature=player_embedded

Thanks,

-The Average Joe

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The video card settings in ESX hardware V7 we're unintended added. If you look at all those settings changing them has no affect on the VMX file so none of it works and that is a bug.

DirectX is an umbrella name for several APIs. Direct3D specifically requires a GPU to render and or a software renderer that allows the rendering using a CPU. Neither of those are possible today with ESX. Although there are some 3D party software rasterizers. I do know some people are using. In some cases the APP might not directly work with the software rasterizer and need modification, it just depends.

#3 Yes Google earth does use an emulation mode to work it leveraging the CPU for the rendering.

WP

0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have been tracking this solution down for weeks. I finally got in touch with presales and they told me to call Teradici. We are going to deliver an opengl application to windows clients. We don't want the clients to require any special hardware ( just View Client.) What the heck is the hardware that I install in the machines in the datacenter? I can't get hold of Teradici either. I'd really like a demo card before committing to this thing.

CLIENT PC WITH VIEW CLIENT --> VIEW MANAGER ---> XP WORKSTATION WITH VIEW AGENT, GPU, AND ????

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The plan has always been to integrate the existing Teradici hardware based solutions with View. That also includes interoperibility with the software implimentation. The hardware based solutions from Teradici have always supported 3D. All the hardware components needed are listed on Teradici's web site. http://www.teradici.com/pcoip/pcoip-products/add-on-products.php. The host card add on for Blade PC's and Rack Workstations can be purchased from several VAR resources and is just an addin card like a NIC.

Hardware to Hardware is integrated with View and works today. We are still working on some peices of the software to hardware integration and that will be availalbe at a later date.

WP

0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK getting closer. So if I have a GPU in the host, and I add the Teradici host card...do I need anything special at the client side, or will the View client on a simple Windows workstation suffice?

Getting disparate information out there....

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Sure, until we finsh up some additional work on the software side, and release it. You will need a hardware PCoIP portal.

WP

0 Kudos
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is good stuff. OK, so if I bought one of each of these I could get up and running?

http://www.evga.com/articles/00448/

0 Kudos
rcx_fr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Something is not clear for me :

Can we connect to a Teradici piece of hardware with the current software implementation of VMWare ?

Best Regards,

Ronald

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Correct - The ability for VMware View to broker PCoIP hardware to hardware has been in place since the release of View 4 and is available today.

WP

0 Kudos
rcx_fr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, it's still not clear for me ;o).

Can I use the software implementation of the PCovIP client to connect to an hardware Teradici ?

I'm not talking about the broker...

Best Regards.

Ronald

0 Kudos