VMware Horizon Community
zzmax65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nic on Xp Client wrongly removed

Hello guys,

there is a way to hide the NIC from USB list in the system tray? Some users mistakenly (or intentionally?...) remove it when trying to remove the USB key...

Thanks in advance

Max

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Disabling hotplug controls the behaviour of devices like the NIC or SCSI controller, which would crash or cause issues with a VM if removed. With device hotplug disabled, these devices no longer appear in safely remove hardware.

The VMware info blog has more detail on this: Disable Device HotPlug

Graeme

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
nonsparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm looking in to it but let me know if you find anything. I think this might be the problem on this post http://communities.vmware.com/message/1465603

Twitter @thickguythinapp
Website thickguythinapp.com
0 Kudos
zzmax65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi nonsparker

I've seen this post, this is not the point. I am sure the user has removed the NIC. I would like to know if there is a system to prevent removal or to hide the usb icon in the system tray. I will setup an automated pool non-persistent in a school, and I'm absolutely sure about the very first thing the students will do: they will remove the nic!

Smiley Sad

Ciao Max

0 Kudos
zzmax65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Workaround (?...): on a vm version 4, the nic isn't a usb resource.

Ciao Max

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're not alone. We've experienced the same problem. In fact, we found that it removed the virtual NIC from the VM's config and we had to go back into vCenter and add a NIC back to the VM. Not cool. I haven't yet tested to see if users with non-admin rights on the VM can do the same thing.

0 Kudos
nonsparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Follow VMware KB article 1012225 it should help.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1012225&sl...

Twitter @thickguythinapp
Website thickguythinapp.com
0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, the KB article says nothing about what affect this change has on the VM. I assume it prevents users from disconnecting the NIC (which would be great), but what other effect does it have?

0 Kudos
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Disabling hotplug controls the behaviour of devices like the NIC or SCSI controller, which would crash or cause issues with a VM if removed. With device hotplug disabled, these devices no longer appear in safely remove hardware.

The VMware info blog has more detail on this: Disable Device HotPlug

Graeme

0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Perfect. Thanks Graeme.

0 Kudos
zzmax65
Enthusiast
Enthusiast