VMware Horizon Community
nzdude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Newest View/Horizon client that is compatible with View 5.2

We're running with a View 5.2 Connection server and are about to upgrade to Horizon 6.2.

My question is: what is the most recent client that is certified to run with View 5.2?

Ideally, this client would also work with Horizon 6.2, so we can use one client version while we upgrade.

I see from this page:

Documentation Center for Horizon 6 version 6.1 ... that Horizon Client 3.3 is compatible with 5.2 Connection server.

On this page:

Documentation for VMware Horizon 6 version 6.2, they state that Horizon client 3.5 is compatible with "Connection server: earlier version"

However, on this page:

VMware Horizon Clients Documentation (and click on "VMware Horizon Client for Windows Release Notes"), it says that Horizon Client is compatible with View 5.3 and above - no mention of 5.2.

I can't find any doco on 3.4 is compatible with, even though it's supposed to be the replacement for 3.3 to fix Security Advisory 2015-00004: VMSA-2015-0004 | United States

Anyone have a definitive answer?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In general, the Clients will work with any version. There are some specific things that can require newer clients but in general clients are backwards compatible. The newer the version, the more features that will work depending on the CS/Agent. We always recommend running like versions or in many cases the newest client. The Agent and Connection Server should remain in the same version family unless making the upgrade transition.

If your quesiton is, can I run 3.5 while I make the jump from 5.2 to 6.2, the answer should be yes.

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I looked around internally and found that the 3.5 client (just released in Q3 2015) only supports View brokers 5.3.5, 6.0.2, 6.1.1, and 6.2.  The 3.4 client supports as old as 5.3.4.  I have to go as far as back Q2 2014 to find a client that had official testing done with View broker 5.2.  So I don't think you are going to find a client that was officially tested with both 5.2 and 6.2, but we do try and take care to not break older clients.

I think the key here is that the 3.5 client likely does work with the 5.2 broker but you should do some verifying yourself because it wasn't in our official testing matrix.  I think the ideal is using the 3.5 client so then you aren't stuck with users on a really old version of the client.

Edit: although if you are using a custom port in your deployment, don't update to 3.5 because of VMware Horizon Client unrecoverable error: (crtbora)

0 Kudos
JackMac4
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Precisely. We normally try to ensure backwards compatibility, but we don't guarantee it.

---- Jack McMichael | Sr. Systems Engineer VMware End User Computing Contact me on Twitter @jackwmc4
0 Kudos
donn0716
Contributor
Contributor

Can you provide me with any source of documentation that shows that the 3.5 client is not compatible with connection brokers running version earlier then 5.3.5? Thanks

0 Kudos