VMware Horizon Community
voelk01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Newbie Floating Pool Question

Hi everyone, we are rolling out our View environment and I had a question about Floating Pools. We would like to use Automated Floating Pools, but we have an application that requires us to keep the disk intact once the user logs off / restarts. It does not matter what guest the user logs into on a daily basis. But we have an application, that in the event that the application goes offline it redirects and saves files to the local disk. In that scenario, if the user logs off their guest, we need to make sure that those local files are intact.

Our thinking is that an Automated Floating Pool with the pool option "Delete or refresh desktop at logoff" set to NEVER, would be accomplish this.  Am I thinking correctly, or am I missing something.

Many Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When the pool is set to floating, the user will most likely not get the same desktop the next time he/she logs in. Therefore the files are lost for that user either way. You should also not make a linked clone pool that you never refresh/recompose. To solve your problem i suggest you look at the possibility of redirecting those application files to either the roaming user profile or a network drive. Another solution would be to use ThinApp on your application. That way you will be able too keep all changes the application does in a sandbox.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mougT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When the pool is set to floating, the user will most likely not get the same desktop the next time he/she logs in. Therefore the files are lost for that user either way. You should also not make a linked clone pool that you never refresh/recompose. To solve your problem i suggest you look at the possibility of redirecting those application files to either the roaming user profile or a network drive. Another solution would be to use ThinApp on your application. That way you will be able too keep all changes the application does in a sandbox.

0 Kudos