VMware Horizon Community
mehrantgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New vc in vdi environment

Hi to all, probably i missed exact forum for this question but i hope that a person help me here, My vc has been crashed and i couldnt restore it by veeam because it relies on vcenter to restore vms, so i had to deploy new vc appliance and added my hosts to it, now i have a problem: I have a view connection server which has 3 desktop pools, now i missed previous vc and i cant manage these pools through view connection server,  and i want to manage them by new vc, what should i do? Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Option 1 If you din't backup the Persistent Disks.

Ok! Don't worry about the desktops they can go to heaven but don't delete the pools yet! First, connect the new vCenter/Composer to Horizon view, create new pools & try to import the persistent disks from the "vSphere datastore" into View Manager, then you attach the detached persistent disk from the old desktop to the new desktops. 

LINK: VMware View 5.0 Documentation Center

Option 2

Backup the users data manually by logging into each desktop & recovering the data. Copy the necessary folders from the user folder to a network location or to removable media. Create new pools and manually try to import the data back to the persistent disks or users profiles.

INFO:

Most organisations that use Persistent Disks do not have a backup strategy in place to guarantee the user data inside those disks. It is also possible to make use of the VMware View storage Tiering to dedicate a DataStore to accommodate all persistent disks and then backup the whole DataStore or LUN.

LINK: VMware View 5.2 Documentation Library

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

http://ITCloudStream.com/

www.ITSA.Cloud

View solution in original post

6 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You need to remove the old vCenter/Composer servers & add the new ones by going to VMware Horizon Administrator

NOTE: "All pools and desktops managed via that old vCenter server must be deleted first or you will get a warning message and the vCenter server will not be removed."

> View Configuration > Servers > vCenter Servers > Edit > Edit vCenter Server  

For more info:

LINK: https://www.vmadmin.co.uk/resources/53-view/389-unable-to-remove-vcenter-server-from-view-administra...

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
mehrantgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks raul for your reply,

so what would happen to my desktops? Can i use them again or those go to the heaven? 😉

It is extremely important to me to manage this problem without any user sense

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What Types of VMware Virtual Desktop Pools do you have?

Automated desktop pool >  Template or virtual machine Linked-Cloned

Uses a vCenter Server template or virtual machine snapshot to generate new machines.

Manual desktop pool >  Virtual machines and physical

Provides access to an existing set of machines. Any type of machine that can install Agent is supported.

Microsoft RDS desktop pool > Virtual machines and physical

Connection Server manages RDS sessions in the same way as normal machines.

How do you Retain User Data and Settings?

View Persona Management >

Stores user profiles on a remote file server and delivers them to the desktop upon login.

VMware User Environment Manager (UEM) >

Maps environmental settings (such as networks and printers), and dynamically applies end-user security

policies and personalization.

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
mehrantgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excuse me i had forgotten , I am using automated linked clone pools delivered by view composer(co-installed with old vcenter which now is unavailable) and users profile retain on a persistent disk

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Option 1 If you din't backup the Persistent Disks.

Ok! Don't worry about the desktops they can go to heaven but don't delete the pools yet! First, connect the new vCenter/Composer to Horizon view, create new pools & try to import the persistent disks from the "vSphere datastore" into View Manager, then you attach the detached persistent disk from the old desktop to the new desktops. 

LINK: VMware View 5.0 Documentation Center

Option 2

Backup the users data manually by logging into each desktop & recovering the data. Copy the necessary folders from the user folder to a network location or to removable media. Create new pools and manually try to import the data back to the persistent disks or users profiles.

INFO:

Most organisations that use Persistent Disks do not have a backup strategy in place to guarantee the user data inside those disks. It is also possible to make use of the VMware View storage Tiering to dedicate a DataStore to accommodate all persistent disks and then backup the whole DataStore or LUN.

LINK: VMware View 5.2 Documentation Library

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

www.ITSA.Cloud
mehrantgs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a million raul, So if i understand correctly, we have dependency to vcenter after creating pools, i think this is not good!  Now without vcenter my users can connect to their desktops and just operations such as powering on / down and provisioning new vms has affected,  but still pools are associated with old vc and without access to it i cant do anything. Fortunately i have 25 vms and your solutions are feasible in my environment but what is solution for enterprises?

0 Kudos