VMware Horizon Community
samuk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New to vMware New - Some questions

A customer wants to implement VDI in there invironement.

A C-Class blade enclosure with several blades servers are in use with 2 servers running Vsphere enterprise hosts exist using shared storage on a EVA.

VDi will be use by 10 users initailly expanding to no more then 50 over 2 years.

What are the best practices for the configuration \ implemetation for vDi?

What are the hardware requirements (memory CPU etc) ? The custimer will be using blade servers. What kinfd of load will the recommended server be able to handle.

What storage sizes may need to be allocated on the EVA? How well would this cope with 100 users?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

It sounds like you are ramping up your VDI rollout which is going to make it easier. To start I would suggest you allocate enough resources to mimic the resources that would be available on a per user basis in a physical machine. Knowing that you will be able to over subscribe things like memory down the line (ESX transparent page sharing will ensure that VDI instances will consume only a portion of the allocated RAM unique to any given desktop and the balloon driver in VMWare tools will yield up unused memory back to the pool) however, with a ramped implementation I would start by making sure you have enough physical memory per VDI instance and from there monitor it's usage using a tool like vKernel and understand the pattern of usage, understanding resource consumption of the 10 users will help you project what you will need to support 100 users

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos
biokovo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

I have very similar situation, so I must join to discusion.

We are planing to virtualize about 100 desktop for now, and there are on many location which are connected with various type of connection (MPLS, ADSL) with servers.

Servers will be C-class blades, and fiber optic storage.

Beside the questions from samuk, I am concerned about network load. What is a minimum recommended bandwith for users? I know it depends on applications they use but take for example they will use a simple office applications, internet, emailing etc.

The other example are applications with high bandwith deman, like You tube.Can it work wel?

Thanks

0 Kudos
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert

Here, you can find it useful:

VmWare View reference architecture

RDP Perfomance (by MS)

But, it`s in general. If you need youtube and other, you`ll more bandwidth.

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
0 Kudos