VMware Horizon Community
GarethThomas121
Contributor
Contributor

New computer no longer passes through printers

Hi All,

Having an issue with one of my clients. We recently swapped his old desktop for a new laptop. When we did we reinstalled Horizon as per instructions from the third party who host the VMs. I believe the version is 2006 as the instructions said go to the download page and just click download. He is able to login and work on the remote VMs but he no longer has any of his printers. His colleague is still using her old PC and gets the printers fine. They are network printers and are using the same universal printing driver.

We contacted the third party but they tell us the issue is with the laptop and so is not their problem. They won't give me any further information or assistance. The VMs are severely locked down and are on another network so I am unable to do any diagnostics from that end. All I have to go on is the software and configuration on the laptop. Since that is what has changed then I guess the problem does lie there but I'm not really sure where to look since this is the first time using the software (Sorry if it's a bit vague!).

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are you using the windows store version or the full horizon client? I don't believe the UWP version allows printer redirection.

0 Kudos
GarethThomas121
Contributor
Contributor

Hi bjohn,

Thanks for your reply.

The instructions sent to me by the third party state to go to the following link:

https://www.vmware.com/go/viewclients

Then click the Go to downloads button, then click download now.

My concern is that the site has been updated and the instructions have not and that I am downloading the wrong client but I don't know if that would make a difference. As I said the software seems to work fine apart from the network printers are not appearing on the VM.

However the instructions also ask me to click next, next, next through the installer but I notice now you just click Agree and Install so they are obviously out of date.

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A couple of things I would suggest you to try or confirm.

1. What Horizon client version are you using? How about Agent version?

2. What laptop are you using to install the client?

My gutfeeling is that there's a mismatch between Client and Agent in terms of printing, but definitely need more info to determine.

0 Kudos
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I hope you didn't install the Microsoft Windows Store version.   (VMware Horizon Client for Windows 10 UWP)

It does not support printer redirection

0 Kudos
GarethThomas121
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ofox,

Thanks for getting back to me. I installed the 2006 version of the client from the VMWare site not from the Microsoft Store.

I am unsure of the version we are connecting to as it is hosted by a third party so I have no access to anything relevant.

I have responded to the third party asking them to specify which version I should be downloading in case the instruction document contains an old link.

I'll get back to you with the results from that.

Thanks,

Gareth

0 Kudos