VMware Horizon Community
Baddos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New View 4.6 install Question

I'm about to install View 4.6 for a small number of desktops (probably around 50). I have an existing vCenter deployment and vSphere cluster for my servers (4 host nodes and about 50 guest servers).

From talking with some VMware people they seem to recommend creating a new vCenter just for the View deployment and not using my existing one. I had already planned to create a separate cluster for the vSphere servers, but I'm curious as to what people are doing on the vCenter side.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

It is considered a best practice to separate Desktop workloads from Server workloads because they are different. Also, by separating your virtual centers for each type of deployment you can more effectively separate the roles for the different groups of support people that may work with your View and Server environments. I have found that when you can reduce the number of people working in one environent and doing different things it makes your management life much easier. One of the main things I had to clean up in an existing view deployment was clutter that was introduced by multiple people making different base images and building and deploying servers without a big picture in mind. You can guess the result. Hope this helps.

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

side of the virtual center is not accomplished much. Normally if you use composer, oh yes the composer is a service installed by the vcenter which makes the provisioning of virtual machines. The composer is the service that can interact with more "workload" in vcenter.
the rest, the user will do "load"on the view server connection.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

I think some of your posting is missing.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

creating a new one would be better in terms of management. view has two types of license addon (on existing vsphere) and bundled (where vsphere4 for desktops comes free). if you bought the add on then you will need to use the existing ..

Baddos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I did purchase the bundle that included an additional vcenter so I'll probably go that route. I did plan to have separate physical hosts for desktops vs servers was just wondering about the vcenter server specifically itself.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

great to hear about that, good luck and all the best ..

0 Kudos