VMware Horizon Community
Crazy88
Contributor
Contributor

New VDI Installation - VDI Bundles

Say new VDI installation of 100 Virtual Desktops.

Assuming no VMware infrastructure in in place, would the best package be the VDI bundle (VDI-W-100-C)?

I understand this includes 1 ESX Enterprise Host, Virtual Center, VDM 2. Would I would just need to buy the additional ESX Enterprise Hosts to accomodate the 100 Virtual Desktops?

Is this the correct or costs affective way of going about this?

Cheers in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My understanding is that the bundle includes ESX licensing for up to 8 CPU's, but the ESX licensing can only be used for destops (ie. servers need to be kept in a separate resource pool).

If you don't already have ESX licensing, then I would say that this is the most cost effective licensing. If you do add more desktops, there may come a point that you would have more ESX licenses than needed and then you would add connection broker licensing.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Fristly, Welcome to the Forums

from my understanding the VDI package had a 8 CPU licenses but is limited to running a 100 Desktop operating systems only. the only exception to this limitation is the VDM Management server which is allowed under the EULA.

Extra Desktop bundles can be purchased as add on packs

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
Crazy88
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers.

I take it that the 8 CPU is for VI/ESX Enterprise? Do you know what the part number is?

Also what is the difference between Enterprise VMs and Standard VMs? I take it this is the version of VI/ESX on the host?

Also say if we wanted a 200 desktop roll out would it still be best to buy a 100 bundle and buy all the additional(100) add-on packs?

Thanks in advance

VMware Commercial Pricing VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) 100 Enterprise VMs (limited to desktop operating

systems and for desktop hosting) on up to 16 processors

VDI-ENT-100-C $27,500.00

VMware Commercial Pricing VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) 100 Standard VMs (limited to desktop operating

systems and for only desktop hosting) on up to 16 processors

VDI-STD-100-C $17,500.00

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's all to do with the functionalty. Foundation, Standard, Enterprise. Standard includes HA. Enterprise includes vMotion, DRS/DPM.

0 Kudos
Crazy88
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone please critique this? I'm getting rather confused with this!!! (Looking forward to figuring out the Microsoft licensing after this. Yay)

Scenario: 200 Virtual Desktops

We Buy 6 servers (say 35 VM's per server)

We Purchase:-

-VDI Bundle + Support (VDI-W-100-C) (Support for 8 CPU, say 4 servers)

- Additional 100 desktop VDI Bundle Add-ons (is there a 100 pack?)

-I guess we don't need additional VI Enterprise licenses if VI is included with every 10 bundle???

Am I getting warm? For me its all a bit confusing. Someone put me out of my misery please!! Would really appreciate it. Cheers

0 Kudos
miveli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Crazy88

My understanding of it is as follows;

6 servers with 2 Proc's = 12 proc's. The VDI packs support 100 users and 4 ESX server or 8 Procs (part no VDI-W-100-C). If you buy 2 of these 100user packs you will have some room to grow the ESX cluster when it expands ( and it will, you know it will ).

The only thing that you may need to clarify is the VirtualCenter license. It the pack comes with VC licensed for 4 ESX hosts, then that will limit the management of your 6 servers. You may want to look at buying an Enterprise VC license so you can include all servers in the resource pool. Also, if you go into server virtualisation you will be set up already to manage this environment.

The microsoft license is straight forward. I have had VMware provide me with the details as we are using OEM XP licensing and we cant use VDI until we set up a EA or select agreement with Microsoft. Once we have this we need to get some VECD cal's and then we are right. Here is an email that i was sent explaining it. I hope that you aren't in the same situation as us because this is the biggest problem that we have with VDI, not the infrastructure.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/enterprise/benefits/licensing.mspx

Bottom line:

If a customer currently acquires Windows through OEM only and wish to run VMs from a central server, they are required to purchase FPP (Windows Full Packaged product) per running VM instance or purchase Volume Licensing Upgrade Media/Software Assurance and then the VECD subscription for the number of VMs they wish to deliver.

I hope that this helps you a bit more but if you have any questions please let me know.

0 Kudos
rjb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is a post that has a PPT with a VDI overview. It looks like the VDI-V-100-C is the best approach. The document also describes increasing the desktops beyond 100....

0 Kudos
Crazy88
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys

0 Kudos