VMware Horizon Community
Mercutio879
Contributor
Contributor

New USB devices not detected

Kind of a weird problem.

I started my View rollout, and everything was working fine. We have some in house transcriptionists, and their footpedals worked fine as well. I then found the Windows 7 optimization guide and ran through it, then recomposed the machines. I moved a user to a different system, and now her footpedal isn't detected. I tried a USB thumbdrive that I know works, and that's not picked up as well. I moved the mouse to that port, and it works fine their. I'm guessing that somehow I removed their ability to add usb devices, but I can't find anything in the documentation that indicates this.

I've also recently set up a brand new View user, and her USB footpedal works fine!

Relevant info:

ESXi 4.1 server

View 5.0

Samsung NC190 zero client

Windows 7 64-bit

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
orthohin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please visit the following link...........

http://communities.vmware.com/post!reply.jspa?thread=336575

Regards,
Milton

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window
0 Kudos
Mercutio879
Contributor
Contributor

That link just takes me back to this thread to reply to my original link...

0 Kudos
PKramerKMM
Contributor
Contributor

DId you ever resolve this issue, as I have the same problem??

0 Kudos
PKramerKMM
Contributor
Contributor

Can I ask if you ever determined how running the optimization script disabled this?

0 Kudos
Mercutio879b
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It actually wasn't the optimization script. The VMWare View client filters most Human Interface Devices by default, the only way to bring them through was to follow the steps in that link and modify the registry on the users' client computer. I'm not sure why VMWare would set it up this way, but they did.

The VMWare person wasn't able to answer why it changed after the optimization script was ran, but guessed that it enabled additional communication between the client and the view system.

Edit: Dammit, I forgot the rest of what happened. The Samsung Zero Clients had a firmware update. That fixed a lot of the problems with USB devices as well.

0 Kudos