VMware Horizon Community
bkline
Contributor
Contributor

New Profile Directory Created on User Data Disk

I am new to VMWare so forgive my ignorance. It is my understanding that the consultant setup a separate User Data Disk with the idea that when we refresh or recompose persistent desktops, the user customizations will be there. However, when I refresh a persistent desktop and log back in with the same user, a new profile directory gets created on the User Data Disk. For example, I have a vditest user. I have refreshed two times since the initial Automatic Desktop Pool was created. On the User Data Disk, I now have a folder for vditest, vditest.hchc, and vditest.hchc.000. I am confused as to why a new folder is created after each refresh. I know we are running ESX 4.0 but beyond that I am not sure what other information to provide nor am I sure if this is the right forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that we are using linked clones if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
rosspcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The profile problem you are seeing usually happens because the profile was not completely release last logoff so it locked and a new profile gets created, you will normally see an error message during logon when this happens. you can clean up the profiles by first rebooting then logon with a different account and delete the profiles.

0 Kudos
bkline
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. I rebooted and deleted the directories and profile from the VM and User Data Disk. I then logged in as my vditest user. I did look through Event Viewer on the VM and don't see any errors about releasing the profile. I also don't see any errors when logging in. I am going home for the day so I will wait until tomorrow to refresh and see what happens.

0 Kudos
bkline
Contributor
Contributor

Refreshed the VMs this morning. Logged in as the same user and another directory was created. Still no messages in the Event Viewer that point to the reason why. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
bkline
Contributor
Contributor

It appears to be an issue with the base image. I used another persistent pool that was created earlier from a different base image and it works just the way it is supposed to. When I refresh and log back in as the user, there is only one profile directory. Why would the base image cause this issue?

0 Kudos
uros678
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

did you perhaps log into the base image as a domain user before creating the pool?

Best regards,

Uroš

0 Kudos
bkline
Contributor
Contributor

Forgive my ignorance but I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you shouldn't login as a domain user on the base image because it could cause issues? Or are you saying I should login as a domain user? As I said I'm new to this stuff so I'm not sure why it is relevant.

0 Kudos
uros678
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I had issues that my user data folder was not being redirected if I used the same user to login to the master image that was link cloned into an automated pool. I used the same user to login into the pool image. I googled the problem and I came to this KB. I did as it said and the problem went away. Can't say that this will solve your problem. Just trying to help...

Now I don't log into master images with domain usernames anymore and the problems haven't reapired.

Best regards,

Uroš

0 Kudos
bkline
Contributor
Contributor

Ah. I understand now. I checked the parent VM and there are no domain users but thank you for the suggestion. The bad thing is that the snapshot that works has been deleted so I can't even update the snapshot and base future pools off of it. I thought I could create a new parent VM from one of the VMs that works but every time I try, I get an error that says "View Composer agent initialization state error (13): Unknown failure (waited 0 seconds)". Still trying to figure it out.

0 Kudos