fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New Pool has an issue with resource pool

Hi All,

I just created a new pool in a cluster but with only one ESXI 5.0 server yet. The pool  contains 4 View desktops. Three desktops are created fine but the last one failed to power on with this error message.

"The available CPU resources in the parent resource pools are insufficient for the operation"

I have another cluster with 3 ESX 4.1 hosts. Each host I want to move later step by step to the new ESXi 5.0 cluster. The host is the new cluster is a Dell Poweredge 720 Server with two physical CPU and 64GB Ram. I think this host should be able to power on a View pool with only 4 desktops. Smiley Happy

I guess there is a config error somewhere.

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Hi Edy,

I suspect you have configured CPU reservations for your VMs and/or resource pools. If the reservation exceeds the total CPU capacity of the server you will see this message. Decrease or remove this value entirely for the various pools and/or VMs. For more details you can read http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-resourc....

Mike

fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mike,

I think it was the parent VM of the pool. But to be honest I'm not sure which is the parent VM of a View pool. Is it the VM I have taken a snapshot to create the pool? What is the function of the replica? For the replica I cannot edit the VM so I did edit the VM from which I did the snapshot and it seems to work.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Correct, the VM + snapshot will be the replica that are the base for the pool and whatever settings and reservation that has will also the linked clones have.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
fafa24
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I upgrade the parent VM to hardware version 8, took a snapshot and created the pool new (not a recompose). But the hardware version of the linked clone desktop are still Version 7.

In my humble opinion the version must be version 8 too of the linked clone.

Thanks,

Edy

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

fafa24 wrote:

Is it the VM I have taken a snapshot to create the pool? What is the function of the replica? For the replica I cannot edit the VM so I did edit the VM from which I did the snapshot and it seems to work.

The replica is a clone of the parent VM, taken from the snapshot - you'll get one for each datastore the pool is set up to use so that the linked clones can use it directly as the base image. It is locked down to stop tampering, if you need to make changes to your image you should edit the master VM, create a new snapshot and recompose the pool to generate new replicas and links.

0 Kudos