VMware Horizon Community
touimet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New Horizon View 7.8 Instant-Clone option clarification

I found this little new (possible) gem in Horizon View 7.8 release:

Image Publish Computer Account

Publishing instant-clones requires an additional computer account in the same AD domain as the clones. If you want to use pre-created computer accounts instead of auto-created computer accounts, you must also create the additional computer account and specify its name here. Then you do not need to delegate Create and Delete of computer objects to the provisioning account.

Worksheet for Creating an Instant-Clone Desktop Pool

I'm a bit confused about it and when or why I would use it.  I understand pre-7.8 required an Instant-Clone Service Account with specific AD permissions to work properly.  If I use this field is the Instant-Clone Service Account still needed?  Would I pre-create all the computer accounts and just specify one in this field during the creation of the pool?  What use case is this for?  Any deeper explanation would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I run instant clones in production and the way it currently works in mine(7.4), first a cp-template vm is created. This one needs to be added to the domain, which for me its auto creating a random ad account that starts with it. I haven't tried 7.8 yet, but isn't the feature mentioned just for this, it states

". If you want to use pre-created computer accounts instead of auto-created computer accounts"

I believe you chose not to use that. This is separate that choosing or not showing to reuse the same computer objects for the clones, or needing a service account.

For the purpose of this I can see it being used for auditing purposes, and even clean up usuage. For an example, I have a few desktop pools that use the same OU. I cannot tell which template account is for which without digging through the horizon ldap database

pastedImage_0.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

do you have already tried to push a instant clone image with the latest Agent 7.8?

Is it working for you?

I'm unable to push fresh images, tested with different images.

Error after creating the cp-template:

Fault type is UNKNOWN_FAULT_FATAL - After waiting for 300 seconds internal template VM: vm-18903 is still not powered off. Giving up!

BR/JO

Johannes Strasser / SDDC Architect @ Porsche Informatik GmbH
Twitter: @jo_strasser
0 Kudos
touimet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, I've been able to push Instant-Clones pools thus far without issue.  It's just implemented in a lab at the moment so have not thoroughly tested yet.  Still would love to understand the use case for the new feature.

jo_strasser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

strange, for me it isn´t working...

After downgrading to the 7.7 Agent the Instant Clone push works fine again.

I´m also interested why we have to define an account for the reuse of computer accounts now.

BR!

Johannes Strasser / SDDC Architect @ Porsche Informatik GmbH
Twitter: @jo_strasser
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I run instant clones in production and the way it currently works in mine(7.4), first a cp-template vm is created. This one needs to be added to the domain, which for me its auto creating a random ad account that starts with it. I haven't tried 7.8 yet, but isn't the feature mentioned just for this, it states

". If you want to use pre-created computer accounts instead of auto-created computer accounts"

I believe you chose not to use that. This is separate that choosing or not showing to reuse the same computer objects for the clones, or needing a service account.

For the purpose of this I can see it being used for auditing purposes, and even clean up usuage. For an example, I have a few desktop pools that use the same OU. I cannot tell which template account is for which without digging through the horizon ldap database

pastedImage_0.png

touimet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sjesse, I think you nailed it.  Thanks!

0 Kudos