VMware Horizon Community
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

New Equipment Rolling In... How to Move View environment??

Hi,

We are upgrading all of our old hosts some of which contain our very small View Deployment (10 desktops). We do have 3 pools. But I am wondering how I would go about getting these back onto the new equipment and have everything functioning properly? I know with the regular VMs I am going to just connect the SAN storage and open the VM folder and import them from the .vmx file. But I am not sure what to with View or what the best practice is to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the project will start Friday night.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So what equipment will be getting replaced?     All physical host and SAN or just a SAN?  

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, just the physical hosts are getting replaced.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If they will be using the same storage you could just put them into the cluster and VMotion the environment onto the new host.   Then you should shutdown the old host and pull them out of the cluster.

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

Do I have to do anything in the View Administrator once all the desktops/replicas are moved to the new cluster with the new hosts?

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

Also do I need to migrate the Replica VMs? Because when I click on one the Migrate button is greyed out.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, they would need to go over too. If you place the host in maintenance mode it should migrate them off.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately not. They just sit there. I can't even remove from inventory and then re-add with the .vmx file.

Or could I do that if I just shutdown that host they are on?

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

Just an FYI on the phone with VMware support and apparently since they are linked clones you cannot VMotion them as it will not work. So basically I am hosed and will have to start over. He is checking with others but doesn't look good. Can't say this makes me to happy. Not sure if you have actually done this before or not but I would suggest not doing it this way if you have linked clones.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I have had my replicas moved to other host via maintenance mode numerous time and never had any issues. When you tried it was your drs set to fully automated?

I'm sure you are in good hands with support. If you end up not being able get the replicas off you could always try to create a new snapshot on the parent image and deploy that. That act would create a new replica for you.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
InflxxEC
Contributor
Contributor

No the whole things is gone. I am not talking about the Replicas but everything in general. I guess you can't just vMotion everything to a new cluster and have it work. You need to do some stuff in the View Admin first. So all my desktops are gone.

0 Kudos