VMware Horizon Community
Sooperfly
Contributor
Contributor

New CSP licensing and KMS availability

We have a client with a Windows 7 VDI environment (Horizon, on-prem) who finally gave the go ahead for Windows 10. (They had an app dependency that has finally been cleared.)

In looking at new licenses for Windows 10/11, I am no longer able to acquire a KMS key.  I am not even sure that I can get a MAK key or a key at all with virtualization rights. 

According to the latest horizon docs, instant clone golden images require a KMS for activation and MAK keys are not supported

Activating Windows on Instant Clones (vmware.com)

I know that I can bypass activation in order to allow the pools to provision, but what is VMware's official take on this? Anyone have experience with this since Jan.1 2022?

It seems I can purchase Windows 10 Enterprise E3 licenses in order to get virtualization rights for on-prem VDI, but I am not sure if this will actually activate or Vmware will support this.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MVL2
Contributor
Contributor

I think you need to buy Windows a 10 Pro and activate it with KMS. On top of that you can use the CSP license for Enterprise version where a ADFS environement is a requirement for non-persistent VDI and CSP activation (Hybrid joined). Keep in mind that the local device from the user needs to be a authorized/compliant device, Windows 10 Pro or IOT Enterprise for a Thin Client in this case. If it is not then you will need to buy the CSP Windows10/11 VDA license instead of the normal one. Also contact your license reseller if you are allowed to run Windows 10 CSP on-premise. The last time i have checked it is only allowed for QMTH companies to run Windows 10 CSP. Not sure if anything is changed there (don't think so)

0 Kudos