I am using linked clones and storing the os disks to the local esxi server and the Persistent "D" disk to our NetApp FAS2020. Here's my problem, before this configuration all the files were stored on the NetApp box. I have volume 1 with a total size of 250GB and 10% reserve for Snap Shots. I DVM'd the machines to the local storage only leaving 5-7GB thick "D" drives on the NetApp box totaling 35GB used space. When go into View manager, it says that I have 180GB Availible but if I try to add another linked clone and store the new "D" drive to the NetApp box, it errors out saying that not enough storage.
When I look at the NetApp volume it shows that I only have 6GB space that can be used?
Being new to both NetApp and VMWare I searched and searched but could not make sense of any of it. Can some one shed some light?
Thank you all.
I have attached a SS to hopefully explain more of my problem.
If I had to take a guess as to what's going on, the problem is that you've got snapshots that are consuming most of the space on the volume. The easy way to confirm this is to go to Volumes > Snapshots > Manage and select the correct volume from the drop down box; make sure and select the View Space Usage box, then hit View. You'll probably see a number of large snapshots. If you remove those, then you should reclaim a significant amount of space once it has finished reclaiming.
I don't know. Weird. I disabled the snap mirror and cleared all snapshots out, then re-enabled snap mirror and still nothing. I then left snap mirror disabled and changed the Fractional Reserve from 100 to 0. It took all night but I was able to reclaim the storage and it started to show just fine. Once completed I set the fractional reserve back and re-enabled snap mirror and then re-sync. All is well.
I did find some information on the NetApp forums that explains if you have snap mirror enabled and make a large amount of changes this occurs. For instance I enabled snap mirror and loaded all of our linked clones using this volume, during this time I was re-provisioning, on and on to get it all set and stone for deployment to production.
Just some information that worked for me. Don't know how right it is but it worked and like the other post on the NetApp forum says, try as last resort.