VMware Horizon Community
Geofficus
Contributor
Contributor

Nested Mode Printer Redirection Windows Server 2012

Hello Community,

I may already have an answer to my question but am looking for a little confirmation. We have thin clients that are connecting to a local Windows 2012 RDS Server. We have an external vendor that hosts applications on Windows 7 virtual desktop that are accessed via the VMware Horizon client.

When the Horizon client is installed on standard desktop printer redirection to the virtual desktops works fine. We are hoping to place more thin clients however printer redirection does not seem to be functioning from our local RDS server to the Windows 7 virtual desktops. The printers we are hoping to redirect are installed locally to our RDS server and we have installed Horizon client 4.6.

I believe the answer is we may need to upgrade our local Windows 2012 SP1 RDS server to Windows 2012 R2. Is this true or are we missing something else?

Thanks,

Geoff Granger

0 Kudos
2 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The Windows 2012 or Windows 2012 R2 version is supported for RDS .  You may have to cross verify the configuration for USB redirection. Refer https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.3/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-4B40CA63-BCD6-4... and its worth giving a try on WIndows 2012 R2 if the configuration is good.  https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon-7/7.3/horizon-published-desktops-applications/GUID-8B38964...

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Geofficus
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Parmarr,

I appreciate you replying to my ticket. Unfortunately I believe the articles you have linked in are not relevant to our side of the issue. We do not have VMWare Horizon setup on any of our servers nor do we have any VMware products. We are connecting to an external vendor that does use VMWare Horizon. The only thing are have installed is the Horizon 4.6 client.

From our Windows 7 desktops we can connect into the external vendor environment and have redirected printers no issue. If we attempt to connect from our Windows 2012 server to the external vendor environment using Horizon 4.6 client the printers do not redirect. In both cases the printers are installed as network printers. Do you know of any issues using Horizon Client 4.6 on a Windows 2012 RDS server to connect to a VMWare Horizon environment? I believe this would be a nested mode connection.

Thanks,

Geoff Granger

0 Kudos