VMware Horizon Community
adict201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Needing to migrate replica before maintenance mode?

Hiho

A hopefully simple question googling or browsing the vmware forum didn't harvest me the answer

When putting a host into maintenance mode is the replica VM also migrated or do i need to unprotect it and migrate it manually?

and will there be downtime to the VM's using this replica?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cherzyk
Contributor
Contributor

The replica as a VM is not needed for the VDs to run. As long as virtual disks are available to the VDs everything is fine.

While the host with the (only) replica is in maintenance mode I would expect that it is impossible to roll out new VDs. So be careful if you use floating pools.

Best regards

Christian

0 Kudos
jdre2134
Contributor
Contributor

When you put a host into maintenance mode that has a replica on it, the replica is migrated to another host in the cluster. 

0 Kudos
ml3002
Contributor
Contributor

Mine does not seem to migrate and the migrate button is grayed out. Any idea on what to do?

0 Kudos
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Placing host in maintenance mode should migrate replica from host to other host. Can you check open move power off VM, while placing host in maintenance mode,

Regards

Mohammed EMaad

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
tjbailey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is a pretty old thread, but wanted to chime in that I had similar issues when placing a host into Maintenance Mode.  You can run some cmdlets that'll unprotect the replica allowing to vMotion, but I didn't really want to go that route.  I decided to initiate a reboot of the host and the replica then migrated over.

0 Kudos